Career advice needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career advice needed.

OK, so for the past week I've been working for my new employer and I really like the company and the people I'm working with. Here's my problem I have been given an offer from another company I interviewed with for 13% more per year and I am very tempted to jump ship for the money. The main thing holding me back is that geology is a very, very small field and everyone seems to know each other and if I burn a bridge by acting unprofessionally then it will likely come back to haunt me in the future since everyone knows each other. I'm afraid that since I made a commitment to my current employer that it would be unprofessional to dump that commitment and run to another company for more money.

I am considering speaking to my boss and telling him about this other offer and asking if they can increase my salary but I'm afraid that if I back him into a corner that he'll say take the other job and don't let the door hit you on the way out. I spoke to my boss at my old employer who is well known and respected in this industry and he's telling me that to protect my professional reputation I need to honor my current commitment and work at least 6 months at my current employer before I even think about switching. What do you folks think?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Switch. Try to downplay the whole thing. Don't discuss the money. (Maybe they will just think you were unhappy with people.)

Comment

Don't switch, it's not honourable and acting like that is a quick way to fasttrack your career to India, or perhaps even Texas.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Cut the cord now. Why work for 6 months. It will just be worse then. 6 months is not a comittment. You need a couple years to show committment. Bail.

Comment

didn't you just jump ship from your last company? How long did you work there?

Sounds risky to ruin your rep.

Comment

jump ship but only after faking an illness
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
              didn't you just jump ship from your last company? How long did you work there?

Sounds risky to ruin your rep.
              I worked there for a year and would have stayed longer but the company was in bad financial shape due to poor management decisions. I gave them two weeks notice and the split was amicable.

Comment

Never go back. You left for a reason, and I doubt it was strictly money.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

No, I think you misunderstand. There are three companies here. One is my old company which I left after accepting a position at company two. I interviewed with company three at the same time I interviewed with company two but two gave me an offer first. For the last week I have been working at company two and now company three has come back with an offer which is 13% higher then what I am now making at company two.

Comment

Lots of options to weigh, such as which company has more to offer in benefits, room for advancement, and how quick u can advance. if they are equally the same i dont see it as a disturbing event to talk to the current boss and see if he is willing to match the offer. Im sure if ur a a valued assest he will if not he will tell you to go do what you have to do. Another thing to conisder is the one offering more money reputable and able to ensure u work for a long time or are they like the ex company. Bottom line think of which company has the better chance of surviving long term, which has the best benfeits and room for advancement and you have ur answer. 13 % is not that much if it is only gonna last for 2 years
                    When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                    "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                    Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

The worst thing I could ever find out about a prospective employee is that he or she can't or won't hold a job. It's an automatic 110, no matter how good the person looks otherwise.

If it's a small community you are playing with fire.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Dont switch, dont mentione the possibility you have to your boss
                        I need a foot massage

Comment

Stay where you are for at least 6 months to a year, and look out for better opportunities near the end of that period. Be a man and honor your commitment.

Comment

and don't leave a job you are happy with. I made that mistake, and ended up in a job I hated. But then I got a good job after I quit that job, so it kind of worked out.

Comment

The problem is I like math and being a nerd I sat down and calculated that it would take 4 years of 4% raises to equal this amount. My mother worked as a human resources manager for around 30 years and she always said either you get the money going in or it is a lost cause.

I need to chase the money. I also need to do this as delicately as possible so that I don't burn any bridges. How is it best to cut these guys loose without pissing them off? b I suppose dealing with them directly is the best way. I could say I don't want to get you guys into a bidding war and I want to treat you fairly but the truth is I need the money (which is only partly true) and I am going to pursue this other offer. I honestly really like this company, the people I work for, and the location of the office (its not to far from home and right in Little Italy which is a great place filled with restaurants and hot single girls).

Comment

Working...
                              X