No announcement yet.

My friend pulled a Faded Glory on me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My friend pulled a Faded Glory on me...

I've got a nutty friend. I mean PROFOUNDLY nutty. I once described him as what would happen if Hunter S. Thompson had a puppy with a labrador retriever, and I stand by that description. He's a big, bumbling affectionate man, but insufferably narcissistic and prone to long rants about pop-culture. Plus he's emotionally unstable and has been in and out of mental hospitals. He graduated from my college about a year ago.

I saw him last week, we had a few drinks, talked old times. A few days later (yesterday), I learned that he'd left a suicide note on Myspace. ****! Enter panic mode. Thankfully my long-distance GF kept some presence of mind when I told her about this. I told her his last name and hometown, and she looked up his phone number.

So: I had no idea if he was alive or dead, but feared the latter. I was actually hoping this was a phenomenally sick joke, and trying to tell myself it was so I would feel angry rather than scared. But I called the number with the expectation that I might have to tell his parents (who he lives with) that their son was dead.

"Hello, is this Friendsdad?"
    "Speaking."
    "You don't know me, but I'm from Washington College, I'm a friend of his and...did you know your son posted a suicide note online?"
    "Yeah, actually, he's got a long history, see, last year..."
    "No, I mean today. He posted it today."
    "Yeah, I know."

At this point, I was baffled. He wasn't acting at all surprised or worried. Then I heard my friend's voice in the background, and his dad passed me over to him.

"Hello?"
    "That's not funny, you *******!"
    "Huh? Is this--is this Elok?"
    "YES!"
    "Holy crap, man, how'd you get this number?"
    "Looked it up online. What were you thinking?"
    "Huh? Oh, the suicide thing. I was kind of depressed after my visit to Chestertown last week, so I started talking about killing myself. I was actually kind of surprised by the reaction, to be honest (chuckle). I wrote the note and was planning to do it that night, but I got this flood of e-mails and stuff and everybody talked me out of it. So, how have you been, man?"
    "Worried."
    "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make everyone worried, I thought I was actually gonna do it."
    "Yes, [Friend], because that's what we were all worried about--that you might NOT kill yourself! We were all saying, 'Man, I hope this stupid bastard goes through with it, I'd hate to think he's still alive!'"
    "Hahaha, well, you know, I'm a crazy guy, what can I say? I was in a mental hospital."
    (muttered) "Yeah, maybe you should go back..."

And we went on from there. I let him go after five minutes or so of outraged yelling, because I'd borrowed somebody's cell phone and didn't want to eat up her minutes. I then returned to my room and watched an hour and a half of really stupid TV (God bless the Fox Sunday lineup) to calm down.

I'm not fishing for comfort or anything with this thread; I'm pretty much okay. This is just the sort of experience that's meant to be shared, so others can appreciate how surreal life gets. My mood can be summed up as:
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

You need a different circle of friends.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

"pulled a Faded Glory"
      Blah

Comment

I remember the original headline in the paper: "Has Lord Lucan Pulled a Faded Glory"...
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

This guy is an *******.

If he wanted to kill himself, he woudl have killed himself and not posted on your myspace. Furthermore, it wasn't even a cry for help. IF you do a cry for help, you do it so that you can be saved. How could you have saved this guy? As you say, his friends or whatever talked him out of it. They can intervene because they know where he lives and all that stuff.

So to do that in your myspace is what? A case example of assholialism, a fine example of human garbage. Dump that punk and if you see him, punch him in the mouth.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Yeah, go supercitizen on his arse...
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

take a knife out and ask him if he wants to die. Then you will see how much he loves his own butt or if he actually likes to live. Threaten to burst his eyes first.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                I was told this once, eight years ago, by a friend of this German girl I was thoroughly obsessed with (but would never talk to), after a "friend" of mine went up to the girl and said to her, completely straight faced, "Lorizael wants to know, how many Nazis does it take to screw in a light bulb?"

(Re Nazis - I'm Jewish, which made it all the more lovely)

Unfortunately, I still have the same friends.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                  Yes, I spend entirely too much time here on Poly. What does that have to do with this thread, though?

And he posted the note on HIS myspace page. He was, in all likelihood, sincere at the time. He was in the Mental Hospital for suicide threats after he dropped out of Grad school. I'm very glad he was talked out of it. He's a madman, but I'd miss him terribly if he were gone.
                  1011 1100

Comment

The last thing you do when you want to kill yourself is fire up your computer, load Firefox and announce the fact to the world.
                    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

You have two options. You can punch him in the mouth and feel bad about it, or you can strike him in the face and feel good about it.

I suggest you feel good about it.
                      In da butt.

Comment

when I kill msyelf, I'm not telling any of you chumps.

When I stop posting here, you'll know I'm dead.

Comment

well.. sometimes being dead is better than posting here. Other times it's not.
                          In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy
                            The last thing you do when you want to kill yourself is fire up your computer, load Firefox and announce the fact to the world.
                            You're assuming suicidal people are still rational. I call that an invalid assumption. Besides, the friend in question is never rational, and a he's total attention-whore in everything he does, no matter what its ostensible purpose. I find it oddly endearing, but the fact that this guy does something in an overly dramatic fashion proves only one thing: that he has not changed at all.
                            1011 1100

Comment

Working...
                            X