X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Things In The News

Man who claims toupee caused attack sues

Sat Sep 16, 7:43 AM ET

MILFORD, Conn. - A man who claims he had a heart attack during a dispute over an ill-fitting hairpiece that didn't match his hair color is suing the wig shop.

Paul Lewis claims he suffered a heart attack after refusing to pay for the hairpiece that was not only the wrong size but also the wrong color. He is seeking more than $15,000 in damages.

Lewis filed a counter lawsuit in Superior Court after Paula's Wig Boutique of Orange filed a small claims action seeking $1,200 in payment for the hairpiece.

Lewis claims he fell ill in December 2004 after Paula Wood, the owner of the wig shop, threatened to call police because he refused to pay, according to court records.

Lewis told the Connecticut Post that Wood sold him the hairpiece in a darkened room and he didn't realize it was the wrong color until later. He said he put a stop payment on a check he issued to the shop.

Wood said she has no idea why Lewis suffered a heart attack over the incident and added that he was so happy with the hairpiece when he left the shop that he "hugged me and thanked me."

She added that her shop is brightly lit and Lewis left with the hairpiece during the day.

Murder suspect: Goat turned into corpse

Fri Sep 15, 3:41 PM ET

LAGOS, Nigeria - A Nigerian murder suspect accused of killing his brother with an axe told police investigators he actually attacked a goat, which was only later magically transformed into his sibling's corpse, officials said Thursday.

The man, whose name wasn't released, offered police his explanation after his arrest on Tuesday in the death of his brother the previous day at Isseluku village in southern Nigeria.

"He said that the goats were on his farm and he tried to chase them away. When one wouldn't move, he attacked it with an axe. He said it then turned into his brother," Police Commissioner Udom Ekpoudom told the Associated Press.

Murder suspects in Nigeria, where many people believe in black magic, sometimes claim spirits tricked them into killing. In 2001, eight people were burned to death after one person in their group was accused of making a bystander's penis magically disappear.

Vietnam-era Marine deserter caught at border

Sat Sep 16, 2:32 AM ET

PHOENIX (Reuters) - U.S. border agents arrested a Marine deserter wanted for the last 40 years as he drove into California from Mexico, the Customs and Border Protection agency said on Friday.

Officers checking 63-year-old Victor Aguirre's car and papers at the busy San Ysidro border crossing near San Diego discovered there was a felony warrant issued by the Marines outstanding against him since 1966, during the Vietnam War.

Aguirre would likely be taken to Camp Pendleton, a Marine base north of San Diego, and be discharged without facing formal charges, the San Diego Union-Tribune quoted a Marine spokesman as saying.
    Note: Again, Mexico rears it's ugly head.

Widow rented rotary phone for 42 years

Fri Sep 15, 8:17 AM ET

CANTON, Ohio - A widow rented a rotary dial telephone for 42 years, paying what her family calculates as more than $14,000 for a now outdated phone.

Ester Strogen, 82, of Canton, first leased two black rotary phones — the kind whose round dial is moved manually with your finger — in the 1960s. Back then, the technology was new and owning telephones was unaffordable for most people.

Until two months ago, Strogen was still paying AT&T to use the phones — $29.10 a month. Strogen's granddaughters, Melissa Howell and Barb Gordon, ended the arrangement when they discovered the bills.

"I'm outraged," Gordon said. "It made me so mad. It's ridiculous. If my own grandmother was doing it, how many other people are?"

New Jersey-based Lucent Technologies, a spinoff of AT&T that manages the residential leasing service, said customers were given the choice option to opt out of renting in 1985. The number of customers leasing phones dropped from 40 million nationwide to about 750,000 today, he said.

"We will continue to lease sets as long as there is a demand for them," Skalko said.

Benefits of leasing include free replacements and the option of switching to newer models, he said.

Gordon said she believes the majority of people leasing are elderly and may not realize they are paying thousands of dollars for a telephone.

Skalko said bills are clearly marked, and customers can quit their lease any time by returning their phones.

Strogen says she's not a big fan of her new push-button phone.

"I'd like to have my rotary back," she said. "I like that better."
    Toupee Heart Attack
    0.00%
    Goat Corpse
    54.55%
    Deserter Caught at Border
    9.09%
    Rotary Phone
    36.36%
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

to leasing a rotary phone.

Comment

They are good phones. I'm surprised, that no-one has thought to make a GSM-compatible tabletop rotary, modelled after some widespread model. Many people might wan't such thing.

And it's rather silly to call it outdated. So it doesn't have MP3 ringtones? What are they good for? If it works, don't replace it with new. Unless it's cheaper.

She seems unhappy with her new phone...
      I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Why can't she get her old one back then? Probably worth bucks by now. Of course, she doesn't own it. It was a rental. That kind of sucks.

Also, with all the "O.T. is Dead" whining, notice they don't come to a thread not about the mideast or religion bashing?

:sniff: whine: :hypocrite:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Source? Link?
          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Yahoo.

I started to copy over 3 real and 1 I made up, as a contest to pick the fake one. I should have. Maybe next time.

Comment

Why didn't you give the source from the start? Why are you still not giving any links?
              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

It changes, but here: http://news.yahoo.com/i/583

Oddly Enough - Reuters.

Comment

Ester Strogen
                  E. Strogen?
                  Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

got one in our local paper today
                    Younger brother spends 8 months in jail for robbing a bank his look alike brother robbed. The younger brother sat in jail after being fingerd out and never saying he didnt do it. Older brother then comes forward at a hearing 8 months later to say it wasnt him i did it cause he didnt want his brother to go to prison. Now that is either stupidity or true love!!
                    When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                    "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                    Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                      It changes, but here: http://news.yahoo.com/i/583

Oddly Enough - Reuters.
                      It changes. My, my, how convenient.

Comment

picked mine at random, without even reading
                        anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                          They are good phones. I'm surprised, that no-one has thought to make a GSM-compatible tabletop rotary, modelled after some widespread model. Many people might wan't such thing.

And it's rather silly to call it outdated. So it doesn't have MP3 ringtones? What are they good for? If it works, don't replace it with new. Unless it's cheaper.

She seems unhappy with her new phone...
                          There is such a phone.
                          **Replacement:** None. We have unfortunately retired this product but you can always read about [how we built it](https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/51)! T

Quendelie axan!

Comment

Colon, stfu. You're so stupid it hurts. Like I'm going to fake an Odd News thread.

If something was going to be faked, it would be something like "Canada moves towards conscription". Dumbass.

Comment

Why the hell would I want one of those old dial phones? It would take me forever to put a number in compared to the time required on a modern system...
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X