The greatest "civilian" ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The greatest "civilian" ever

Excluding monarchs, elected rulers and military leaders, who would you choose as the greatest person ever?

My vote's for Isambard Kingdom Brunel- here's his record.

Aged 21 he was in charge of the longest underwater tunnel construction ever. He risked his own life in a daring rescue of trapped labourers during a tunnel collapse.

Aged 23 he designed the stunning Clifton Suspension Bridge across the Avon Gorge- a design that pissed all over the designs of even the greats such as Thomas Telford.

Aged 25, as a volunteer policeman in the astonishingly bloody Bristol Riots, he managed to arrest some burly rioters despite being only a tiny wee bloke, wielding only a chair-leg.

Aged 26 he designed a revolutionary new engine powered by liquid CO2. He also had the good sense never to build it, after calculating that it would have a distressing tendency to explode. The designers of the Ford Pinto- please take note.

Aged 27 he designed and built a revolutionary new dredger to keep the Bristol docks operating.

Aged 27 he was placed in charge of the construction of the Great Western Railway. Rather than settle for a bog-standard railway, he sets out to build the fastest, flattest, safest and most advanced railway ever. It included the longest single-arched bridge ever built (at Maidenhead) and the longest tunnel ever constructed (Box Tunnel).

Aged 32 he designed and built the biggest ship ever built- SS Great Western. It was the first true ocean-going steamship.

Aged 34 he built an even bigger ship- SS Great Britain. It has been hailed as the first modern ship, being iron-clad and screw-driven (Brunel's own design, obviously).

Aged 35 he had completed the Great Western Railway, and as an unexpected side-effect he introduced the modern bar, by introducing serving counter bars to his transport inns. Hurrah!

Aged 51, after many delays he launched SS Great Eastern. Five times the size of any other ship ever built. Let me repeat that. Five times the size of any other ship ever built. That's "five times". It remained the biggest ship ever built for 50 years. His own design, obviously.

Aged 53, he completed the Royal Albert Bridge over the River Tamar- the most technologically advanced bridge ever built. All his own design, obviously. He even designed the diving bells and compression chambers used in the underwater engineering work.

Aged 55, he died, after working himself to death.

As well as all the works listed above, he built hundreds of constructions that combine brilliant engineering with beautiful aesthetics. Paddington Station, Temple Meads Station, hundreds of bridges and hotels. In just about every other field of human achievement there can be healthy debate over who was the greatest, but not in engineering. Brunel was so far ahead of the pack that he was playing an entirely different game. He was a giant among pygmies.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Brunel rocks

Comment

I'd say Thomas Edison. He invented the lightblub, motion picture camera, and phonograph. I know the phonograph may seem unimportant, but Edison figured out how to recreate when he made it. All devises that recreate sound, such as phones and speakers, use Edison's concept of how to recreate sound.
      USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
      The video may avatar is from

Comment

Ben Franklin, totally.
        Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

maybe those old greek philosophers

or einstein
          CSPA

Comment

Comicus, Stand Up Philosopher!

Are religious figures out too, Laz? Because I could see a bunch of votes for this guy named Jesus... and then an argument over whether or not he was a "person."

Brunel was a brilliant guy, no doubt. Best ever, I dunno, but that's a cool list of accomplishments.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Ben Franklin, totally.

Damn straight. He was even associated with the Hellfire Club.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Will9
                I'd say Thomas Edison. He invented the lightblub, motion picture camera, and phonograph. I know the phonograph may seem unimportant, but Edison figured out how to recreate when he made it. All devises that recreate sound, such as phones and speakers, use Edison's concept of how to recreate sound.
                I'm glad you focussed on the phonograph, because Edison didn't actually invent the light bulb and motion picture camera. He just claimed the credit (he had a habit of doing that).
                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Well as much as I like Brunnel, I still have to say Darwin. The idea that everything is subjected to continuous change is (for me at least) one of the corner stones of modern scientific thinking.

If you ask me for the most genius and crafted person pure sang, I'd have to say Michelangelo.
                  "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

I think Brunel is a bit too British for foreigners. However Shakeaspere did quite alot
                    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                    Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

This guy ain't bad either:

Norman Ernest Borlaug (born March 25, 1914) is an American agricultural scientist, humanitarian, Nobel laureate, and the father of the Green Revolution

Comment

I´d vote for Leonardo da Vinci.
                        After all he was a brilliant painter as well as an engineer who was cleraly ahead of its time.
                        He is also the only person I know of, who regularly wrote backwards (which is the reason why many of Leonardos writings can only be read using a mirror )

No wonder that Sid Meyer (in most Versions of Civ) named a GW after him
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

All you ever hear about da Vinci is that he was "ahead of his time". But what good is that, really?

My guy fed a billion people and nobody knows his name, your guy drew some pictures and wrote in reverse and they name a book about Jesus after him

Comment

My Dad, a plasterer by trade, he didnt invent much really, but he inspired me deeply and still does even now hes no longer alive.

followed closely by my uncle Charlie, a collier who worked the deepist pit in staffordshire, survived a horricfic collapse, cost him a broken leg though, sadly also no longer alive. This fella had hands the size of shovels and stood 6 foot something but yet was the gentlest man i ever knew.

Brunel would be in my top ten as everywhere i go i see his name stamped on stuff, and engineering allways fascinates me, but my favourite well known if you like, well at least in britain would have to be Fred Dibnah (spelling?) a most amazing fellow, a steeplejack by trade with a deep fondness for steam powered engines and the like.

I suppose i instinctively look to the working classes for my inspiration as it is most often the ordinary man who labours to make engineering become reality, but it is fair to say that lazerus has spotlighted a genuine genius of his time.
                            A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST
                              I´d vote for Leonardo da Vinci.
                              After all he was a brilliant painter as well as an engineer who was cleraly ahead of its time.
                              He is also the only person I know of, who regularly wrote backwards (which is the reason why many of Leonardos writings can only be read using a mirror )

No wonder that Sid Meyer (in most Versions of Civ) named a GW after him

Invented the ball bairing, airplane and helicopter during the renassaince!

Comment

Working...
                              X