X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford slashes 10,000 more jobs, 2 plants

Ford slashes 10,000 more jobs, 2 plants
    AP - 1 hour, 28 minutes ago

DETROIT - Ford Motor Co. is cutting more than 10,000 additional salaried jobs, offering buyouts to all of its 75,000 U.S. hourly workers and shutting down two more plants in a plan to end financial losses and remake itself into a smaller, more competitive car company. The announcement from Ford came as Chrysler's parent said it would cut U.S. production through end of 2006 and follows big cutbacks at General Motors earlier this year.

More good times rolling!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Yay! Mazda will buy otu ford!

Spec.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Kill the unions

Comment

It's gonna get worse before it gets better. At least they're trying to do something.
        What?

Comment

Less jobs, and inadequate minimum wages . . . . . .

the good times are here.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Japanese car companies building auto plants in the US

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
              Japanese car companies building auto plants in the US
              The job losses at our local Ford plant are more than offset by the new positions at the soon to open Toyota plant.
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

It's all that Bush's fault.
                Unbelievable!

Comment

Couldnt they just make better cars?

Comment

Of course. That goes without saying.

Keep in mind, this is 10,000 at Ford only. It doesn't take into consideration businesses that will suffer in direct response.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Is this a surprise? Toyota has been building better cars for a long time and Ford/GM/Chrysler just aren't competing well. They have to right the ship somehow.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

This has more to do with crap management then anything. EVERYONE told them to expand their car line up and concentrate less on trucks but Ford's management never listened. Now gas prices went up and trucks are out of style yet Ford doesn't have much in the way of cars to sell. Thus they are losing money hand over fist.

Just poor management.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                          Is this a surprise? Toyota has been building better cars for a long time and Ford/GM/Chrysler just aren't competing well. They have to right the ship somehow.

EDIT: The slap smiley is not working yet.
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Keep your hands to yourself.

There are 1.7 million more jobs in the US this year versus last, by the way.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Dan, I like you a lot, but a spin is a spin is a spin.

Comment

Working...
                              X