No announcement yet.

Colombian wives get all Aristophanic...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colombian wives get all Aristophanic...

Aristophanes famously wrote a play in which women staged a sex strike so that the Peloponnesian War might end- 'Lysistrata'.

Now it seems that some Colombian women have taken inspiration in modern times to attempt to put an end to the deaths caused by gang warfare:

Wives and girlfriends of gang members in one of Colombia's most violent cities have called a sex ban in a bid to get their men to give up the gun.
    Dozens of women are said to be taking part in what is being called the "strike of crossed legs", a move backed by the mayor of Pereira.

The city in Colombia's coffee-growing region reported 480 killings last year.

A city official said the idea came from a meeting of wives and girlfriends over the progress of a disarmament scheme.

Rap song

"We met with the wives and girlfriends of gang members and they were worried some were not handing over their guns and that is where they came up with the idea of a vigil or a sex strike," the mayor's spokesman told Reuters news agency.

"The message they are giving them is disarm," he added.

Studies found that local gang members were drawn to criminality by the desire for status, power, and sexual attractiveness, not economic necessity, Colombian radio reported.

One of the girlfriends, Jennifer Bayer, told Britain's Guardian newspaper: "We want them to know that violence is not sexy."
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

On a lighter note, Aubrey Beardsley did some famously funny illustrations for an edition of 'Lysistrata'....

...none of which I expect I'd be able to post.

Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Unless the local prostitutes also join the strike, I predict its effectiveness wil be low.
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

As if women didn't need sex too...
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

If they're already shooting and killing people over drugs, it isn't much of a leap that they'll turn violent on their wives, girlfriends, and prostitutes. I suspect the number of rapes in that town is going to sharply increase...
        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Though I immediately had the same thought as togglecaps.

Comment

I read Lysistrata when I was in Iraq. It was amazing how many guys serving there got worked up over the idea of their women folk "stabbing them in the back at the home front".
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

the fact is women are turned on by bad men who kill other men.

Comment

Why is a ghey posting this? Some kind of hope behind it?
                So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
                  The wink tells me you'd like that huh?

On a more serious note, or maybe not, I could care less about the women doing these strikes. THEY WERE HAVING SEX WITH DRUG DEALERS AND MURDERERS, ....WHY NOT JUST LEAVE THEM AND FIND SOMEONE... NORMAL?

EDIT: I Committed one of my own cardinal sins.. "I could care less" is of course the wrong intention, it should be "I couldn't care less"

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie

Err... dream on, girlfriend.
                    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                    X