Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stacking?

That spear man sank my battleship!
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie

Wasn't that the Polish in 1939?

Yes the Polish still had Uhlans/Ulani in 1939 but didn't, as far as I can find out, deploy them against tanks.

I believe they were used more like the Australian Light Horsemen in the Middle East during WWI as rapid mounted infantry and reconnaissance units.

Attached Files
      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Yes the Polish still had Uhlans/Ulani in 1939 but didn't, as far as I can find out, deploy them against tanks.
        I remember a guy with Polish roots at CFC who nearly exploded when someone only vaguely implied that they were using them against tanks in 39. He said it's a myth that Polish cavalry attacked German tanks, and that Poland had tanks as well (of course they had). He seemed to take it as quite an offense, in his opinion the cav vs. tanks story gives the impression that Poland was a somehow backward country.....Otoh I think many nations had still cavalry units at the beginning of WWII, incl. Germany.....
        Blah

Comment

Yeah, it seems that Polish charging tanks with horsemen is a myth that just won't go away.

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
            But which is the best Main Battle Tank?
            The flying tank

The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

My personal favourite

Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                Otoh I think many nations had still cavalry units at the beginning of WWII, incl. Germany.....
                Well .....

The extent of use of independent horse cavalry units by the Germans varied inversely with German fortunes. During the first 3 years of the war, when Germany was ascendant, such units were almost abandoned completely; they never exceeded one division. From 1943, new cavalry units were formed, and by early 1945 there were six cavalry divisions and two cavalry corps.
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Bump.

Cos this thread was tanking.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Tanks, dauphin.

Comment

This should so have gone in the history forum.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                      X