Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judge says Saddam was not a dictator

From the CNN article: http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/....ap/index.html
    Questioning a Kurdish witness Thursday, Hussein said, "I wonder why this man wanted to meet with me, if I am a dictator?"

The judge interrupted: "You were not a dictator. People around you made you (look like) a dictator."

So witnesses are testifying about how Saddam ordered mass killings and the judge just says that he does not think Saddam was a dictator?

1) How can anyone say Saddam was not a dictator?
    2) How can this judge say that when he is supposed to be impartial?
    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Translation issue?

Comment

I also do not see how mass killings = dictator.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

"You were not a dictator. People around you made you (look like) a dictator."
        He's not a dictator, it's the people around him cowering in terror for fear of being tortured in prison or killed that make him look like a dictator.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
          Translation issue?
          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Arab macho culture lending positive qualities to the position of dictator over a mere president?

Comment

If they say a leader like him is a dictator aren't they condemning most the other leaders of the region as a result? Probably best to fudge it...

Comment

It sounded to me like the judge was saying, Hussein is just one man, and one man can't be a dictator if no one follows him. True in and of it self, but in no way absolving Hussein of any of his responsibility for his crimes.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Take him out back and shoot him already.

The trial is a farce.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
                    Take him out back and shoot him already.

"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

The trial is not about Hussein. It's about the people of Iraq getting justice. The victims of a crime should be allowed to have their time in court before the dog is dragged out back and shot.

Conservatives never seem to understand trials are about the community, not about individuals.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

....................and besides, a communal stoning would be so much more appropriate, don't you think?
                        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Dictator is too big a word for him. A common thug.
                          I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                            Conservatives never seem to understand trials are about the community, not about individuals.
                            Whereas commies have always been experts on flimsily generalising about their political opponents.

Comment

That seems to be a universal trait for people of all political persuasions, Wilson.

Comment

Working...
                              X