Does the world really need a police?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pekka
    and how does this relate to the current issue here?
    It relates to the Monroe doctrine, the USA as a regional hemispheric police, and the extent of its power.
    I need a foot massage

Comment

Ah ok! Sorry, I didn't know what the Monroe doctrine was.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Monroe doctrine was designed to be an impediment to European imperialism at the height of European influence/power.

Seeing as the situation has changed without a Euro or for that matter other world power to project power the Monroe Doctrine is an antiquated doctrine facing no real foil.

Therefore as the Monroe Doctrine morphed from one of being a protectionist policy to prevent imperial meddling into western hemisphere matters into a dictate for the US to do what was in its own best national interests in the western hemispere, likewise the analogy to world affairs.

The question then comes back to Pekkas question is this a good thing?

The realistic answer is "Does it matter?" as the US has the ability to project on a world wide basis the only impediment to doing so being internal political restraint.
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

If you have no patience, well, the resolution to that is pretty self-evident, wouldn't you think?
          You are quite right...stop writing so much!
          Ef þú getur lesið þetta þá kanntu kannski íslensku. Það getur verið að þú sért að vera sniðugur eins og viss herramaður sem ég nafngreini ekki. Eða að þú sért Færeyingur eða Nojari.

Comment

There isn't such a thing as a Global Policeman only a global bully. But I prefer a global bully that say's he's using my lunch money for spreading democracy to the one that blatantly admits he's using it for candy.

Better America than China.
            I'm not buying BtS until Firaxis impliments the "contiguous cultural border negates colony tax" concept.

Comment

Working...
            X