Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What'll the world population be in 2100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What'll the world population be in 2100?

Fun poll. Back up your answer (by posting).
    over 15 billion
    11.32%
    10.1 - 15 billion
    18.87%
    7 -10 billion
    33.96%
    about the same
    3.77%
    5.1 - 6 billion
    5.66%
    3.1 - 5 billion
    3.77%
    1 - 3 billion
    3.77%
    less than a billion
    1.89%
    less than a hundred million
    3.77%
    all gone
    13.21%
    Shop Amazon thru my Searchbox, thanks! Narz's Chess Page

7-10bill, reckon it could easily pass 15bill but who wants to bother feedin africans when we can all get fat instead
    Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazerus
      who wants to bother feedin africans
      not africans themselves, obviously

and that's all "our" fault, yes

Comment

I said 7-10. The population of the advanced world is shrinking. As other, former 3rd world countries (India, China) reach western living standards, their population will decline as well.
        I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

I would have liked to vote 10,05x,xxx,xxx, but there's no option for that

And no banana
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Nature is striking back. 2100 the monkeys will have taken over
            I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Wycoff
              I said 7-10. The population of the advanced world is shrinking. As other, former 3rd world countries (India, China) reach western living standards, their population will decline as well.
              Their TFR's (total fertility rate(lifetime) per female) is already declining. In some cases fairly rapidly, and IIUC in a few already below replacement. They are still growing cause of demographic momentum (the TFR is down, but the number of females in childbearing years is still increasing because of past fertility) but by 2030 or so they should be declining also.

I said 5 - 6 billion. It seems very likely that the trend toward below replacement fertility with higher levels of social and economic development is a broad trend that that transcends individual cultures - barring pro natalist policies, Europe, East and South Asia, and most of the Americas should all have neg pop growth by the middle of the 21st century.

If it wasnt for uncertainty about Africa, the possibilty of selective adoption of pronatalist policies, and other factors, Id have gone with a lower pop figure.

Note, according to Chinas State Statistical Bureaus, the TFR there is ALREADY below replacement. Though there is apparently some skepticism about the data.

Note that measuring current TFR is not easy, as you dont know for sure how many children currently fertile women will have in the course of their lifetime. There is an especial problem as women delay childbearing - you see declines in births to women in their teens and twenties, but no offsetting gains t to women in their thirties, since that cohort has already had their children. So the TFRs can look VERY low, but then bounce back when the women who had no children in their twenties fill out their families in their thirties. This has caused INCREASES in observed TFRs in some advanced countries, notably in northwest Europe (but still below replacement)
              Last edited by lord of the mark; September 13, 2006, 09:11.
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I say 3 people. And a dog... maybe a monkey. But 107 bananas shall rule the world.
                Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009
                "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there's no conspiracy"

Comment

Hopefully by then it'll just be me.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

7-10. IIRC it's supposed to top out at 9 and then start decreasing.

Comment

The demographers haven't been good predictors in the past with regard to population growth, so I don't put much stock in what they say. Really, the population is still to be determined. There could be baby booms and the like.

That said, Japan is already losing population. Eastern Europe has been losing population for a while.

Kids are becoming less and less economic assets, so it stands to reason that population growth will moderate.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Over 15 billion.

Modern people don't have kids, but traditionalists will inherit the Earth.

Comment

USA: 2 billion
                          China: 3 billion
                          India: 3 billion
                          Europe: 1 billion
                          Africa: 2 billion
                          Rest of Asia: 2 billion
                          Rest of Americas: 2 billion

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                            USA: 2 billion
                            You expect the population of ths USA to grow by 600% in the next 94 years?

"My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                              China: 3 billion
                              India: 3 billion
                              No way, Jose.

China's population growth rate is already down to .59 % per year (IE less than 1 per cent) and thats with some time to go before the lower TFR overcomes the demographic momentum.
                              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                              X