Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am afraid of windows, please answer fast (I need to go to bed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am afraid of windows, please answer fast (I need to go to bed)

Last year I bought a computer, I guess its windows xp was not original, since 2 weeks ago windows, after updating itself, has been annoying me with messages about my windows not being original that pop out, and that being risky for me, and also when I close windows and restars I have to see messages about that and it takes more time than before, and also that I could no longer get updates.

Now windows is trying to update itself again, I fear for what changes I will get

What can I expect?

Is linux a free replacement for windows?
    I need a foot massage

Just turn off automatic updates and tis problem goes away. Next time you buy a new PC just make sure you buy it from a reputable dealer.

Lastly, most of the major updates have cracks available on the internet so if you absolutely must the just get a P2P file sharer and handle your business.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Just keep clicking "I'll deal with it later" until you find a crack.

Comment

Linux is more than a free replacement for Windows... but that is certainly one option. Unfortunately you can't play games like Civ on Linux

I suggest www.distrowatch.com or www.linuxquestions.org if you want to go down this path.

The other route would be to delete the file: "c:\windows\system\wgatray.dll" (or was it "c:\windows\system32\wgatray.dll"?)

This may or may not work, but once you do it, you shouldn't be bugged for WGA updates again (only normal updates). However, it would be a good idea for you to check each time it updates and untick the box for anything to do with WGA. This'll make sure it'll never pester you again.

Finally you could as has already been suggested shell out several hundred $/£ (or equivelant) to get a pucker copy. Although it's cheaper to just phone up tech support (or do it online) and claim "I've been stung"... you get a fully valid code to use for about 1/5th (maybe less) of the price of a normal copy. Plus they send you a new disk should you need to re-install later.

My personall preference would be a combination of the first two... Linux for day-to-day stuff and Windows for games. Although Wine (Windows emulator for Linux) is getting pretty good. Plus there's always something like VMWare or stuff like that.
        Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009
        "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there's no conspiracy"

Comment

Always choose the Custom Install option for updates, and de-select the Windows Genuine Advantage ones.
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
            Always choose the Custom Install option for updates, and de-select the Windows Genuine Advantage ones.
            Which is what I just said... sort of.
            Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009
            "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there's no conspiracy"

Comment

Working...
            X