Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About the new iPods

Plenty of news about the new iPods

Yup, for the second time in two months Steve Jobs is going to get up on stage and do his thing. We're there with live coverage of the blow-by-blow, keep refreshing this page for the latest.P.S. - Yes, we know that the Apple Store is down.8:50AM PST - Still in line, all the press are waiting on Howard Street outside of Yerba Buena. As usual, it's a who's who of the tech press.

The iPods are now cheaper, have better screens, better battery life, come with better earbuds and now supports gapless playback

About the Nano:

Now, let's take a look at the iPod nano. It is the most popular MP3 player in the world. So today, we're going to introduce an all new nano. It's made out of aluminum, and it's even thinner than the previous ipod nano
    Maybe the most obvious feature is we're bringing back colors: Blue, Pink, Green, Silver, and Black. Battery life: 24 hours.

So, second generation nano: thinner alumninum case, 5 colors, 40 % brighter display, 24 hour battery.

2GB (aluminum only) $149
    4GB colors $199
    8GB (black only) $249
    Here's the new Shuffle

About iTunes 7:
    "We've added a View switch, a 3-position swtch. we've added a 2nd view called album view, so you can scroll through your music library and look at it by album. what if you ripped your CDs and don't have the covers? Today wer'e announcing free missing album cover art for all the music in your library if you have an iTunes acct. iTunes will automatically download it for free."
    "But there's something even better. That's the third view, it's called Cover Flow view."

[LOOKS LIKE FLIPPLING THROUGH YOUR CD RACK]
    And they'll compete with Media center PC's with something called iTV

Last edited by Nostromo; September 13, 2006, 00:04.
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

f-ck,f-ck, f-ck

I just bought a 60gb ipod last night.

f-ck, f-ck, f-ck
    Golfing since 67

Comment

The new regular iPods aren't really different. They have a brighter screen but that doesn't matter much.

The 60GB iPods get the same software as the new one.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Nice, solid improvements to iTunes. I know gapless playback has been something a lot of people wanted. I was surprised the rumors of a true, widescreen video iPod didn't come true. I guess Apple could be waiting for a couple more pieces to fall into place before announcing, or don't want to take the iPod in that direction. Time will tell. Sucks for my roommate though, he bought a Nano two days ago.

The iTV looks promising, but I'm not too excited about the movies in iTunes, and how they've done them. I'd like to much rather have the option of renting movies, either on an individual basis, or paying a flat fee of X a month - especially for TV series. Sometimes I get a hankering to watch a certain episode of a show, without paying 2 bucks for it. A rental service like that, plus the iTV, would be awesome - like Netflix, only without the physical media.

Comment

The new regular iPods aren't really different.
          A nice upgrade, though. Support for gapless playback is big, IMO. Better battery life, too. And, I'm not sure, but I think it has more horsepower to run those games.

Its funny they stole the album view thing from the new Windows Media Player But its a good thing.
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Gapless playlist support is included on the "original" 5G iPods. I know because I have one and just upgraded.

The games also run just fine on the 5G iPod. The internals are the same -- the only difference is the battery and brighter screen.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Luckily, I've got a connection (through an ex-girlfriend) with the store where I bought my iPod so I'll be able to return it, get the newer model, and get a refund on the price difference.

The downside is the new model comes in next week so I'll have to wait until after my vacation to get it.
              Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai
                f-ck,f-ck, f-ck

I just bought a 60gb ipod last night.

f-ck, f-ck, f-ck
                I feel your pain. I purchased a top-of-the-line Intel iMac (2GHZ, 2GB RAM, 256MB VRAM) two months ago, only to learn late last week that Apple is now shipping its Intel iMacs with Core Duo 2 chipsets.

ARGH! Oh, well. My new iMac still does what I want it to do, but I'd hoped it would be king of the mountain for at least six months.

Gatekeeper
                "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

bot

Comment

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Wait, so the next Shuffle is the size of a large stamp? Brilliant idea...

Edit: Shuffle, not Nano
                      Last edited by DRoseDARs; September 13, 2006, 02:40.
                      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

The concept of iTV, a box hooked to a flat screen with wireless connection to a computer, is a good idea, but $299 is steep. Any other companies making a similar product?
                        Golfing since 67

Comment

Was that in reference to my post or the OP?
                          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Just a general comment. I'd like to hook up my computer to my flat screen, but they're in different rooms. The iTv would be perfect for me, but the price seem steep.
                            Golfing since 67

Comment

The music phones are getting so good now I can't see why anyone would want a nano. Sure their small but everyone carries a phone anyway.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X