Is Jesus Lord?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Jesus Lord?

I've been going to church lately cause I wanted Josie to have religion in her life and wifey grew up in a church. So, we are going to a Vineyard church which is pretty much just coffee and a sermon from a pastor who wears sandles and sounds like Jeff Foxworthy... rather intertaining.

One thing I've wondered for sometime now is; If God is God, and God is Lord, why the heck do people say Jesus is their lord and savior? I get the savior bit, but am confussed on the whole heirarchy. Did God give Jesus, his son, to the people to rule over them and then step aside? If so, then why do people still even bother with God?

Anyway, thank god I'm not Catholic; I wouldn't be able to figure out the whole idol worship thing of theirs, what with all the saints. Never understood the whole worshiping of Mary thing either.
    Monkey!!!

Jesus is God. Duh.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Oh dear, it looks like you're trying to understand the Trinity. Poor bugger. I'd give it up now if I were you; theologians have been working on that for centuries with NO progress.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Jesus is a pillock.

No idea what a pillock is, though.
        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

that makes sense then
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Japher, holy trinity.

Yeah, go to church and stuff, it won't hurt, but later on turn her into devil worshipping atheist. If you teach her now that there is no God, they can't make up their own minds later on so easy, if you go like 'yeah we do this church thing now', they can make it up later. Because they pick it up from the parents mostly anyway..

So... you can bring on the evil science things later on

Or you can hit her in the face and say 'don't cry, if you do, there is no Jesus'. Let her make up her mind if she believes or not. Faith has never been easy. First lesson, fist in the face.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
              Japher, holy trinity.

Yeah, go to church and stuff, it won't hurt, but later on turn her into devil worshipping atheist. If you teach her now that there is no God, they can't make up their own minds later on so easy, if you go like 'yeah we do this church thing now', they can make it up later. Because they pick it up from the parents mostly anyway..

So... you can bring on the evil science things later on

Or you can hit her in the face and say 'don't cry, if you do, there is no Jesus'. Let her make up her mind if she believes or not. Faith has never been easy. First lesson, fist in the face.
              Your mastery of alliteration is stunning to behold, Pekka.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

If she doesn't want to go, I won't make her
                Monkey!!!

Comment

At her age, (I have no idea how old your daughter is, btw) can she actually intelligently articulate whether or not she wants to go to church, and what that means?
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

No, which is why it is up to the parents what a child does.

And you do take children to things they don't want to go to.. to educate them (to art shows, or plays, etc.).

I think that Alexander's Horse would better understand your reasoning then some here, Japher.

Jon Miller
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Jesus was an illusionnist.

No offense Japher, but why would you want your daughter to have religion in her life?

I'm asking you seriously.

Spec.
                      -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Re: Is Jesus Lord?

Originally posted by Japher
                        One thing I've wondered for sometime now is; If God is God, and God is Lord, why the heck do people say Jesus is their lord and savior? I get the savior bit, but am confussed on the whole heirarchy. Did God give Jesus, his son, to the people to rule over them and then step aside? If so, then why do people still even bother with God?
                        Because a religion works best if it tries to get people to believe what they want to believe. People want to believe in the story about Jesus because it makes them feel good. That's why Christianity is so effective.
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

At her age, (I have no idea how old your daughter is, btw) can she actually intelligently articulate whether or not she wants to go to church, and what that means?
                          Of course not. However, IMO, a church going experience is one of community, and if we wait to become apart of that community until she is older it would be more of a lesson on how to tolerate strangers.

No offense Japher, but why would you want your daughter to have religion in her life?

I'm asking you seriously.
                          Why wouldn't I? Religion is an important part of many peoples lives, why? I have no idea. Still, is it my part to keep her from it? Should I not even introduce her to it so that when she asks me about god and why people believe in it she has a better awnser than "I don't know, people are just stupid sometimes"?

Those are things she needs to come up with herself, and without all the facts presented from the horses mouth (so to speak) she won't be making a very educated decision.
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

It really kind of freaks me out when you talk seriously, Japher. But, uh, you're pretty smart and stuff. Wtg with the good parenting.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                              Should I not even introduce her to it so that when she asks me about god and why people believe in it she has a better awnser than "I don't know, people are just stupid sometimes"?
                              How about "People have a tendency to believe what they want to believe?"
                              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                              X