"Pirates" sequel third-biggest film of all time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Pirates" sequel third-biggest film of all time

This whole thing is somewhat surprising to me. In the era of rentals, p2p, and all else, I would have thought aother era would yield bigger revenues. Seems Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) is over-reacting as much as their audio counterparts, the RIAA.

Sat Sep 9, 6:51 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The swashbuckler epic "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" has become the third film to pass $1 billion at the worldwide box office, distributor Walt Disney Co. said on Saturday.

The film starring
    Johnny Depp had sold $1.003 billion worth of tickets as of Friday, the company said in a statement. But it was unlikely to climb any higher up the rankings.

"Titanic," released in 1997, holds the record with $1.8 billion, followed by 2003's "Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" with $1.1 billion.

"Pirates," which has ruled the foreign box office for the last nine weekends, enters its final major market, Italy, on Wednesday. The first film, 2003's "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl," earned $21 million there, and $656 million worldwide.

All told, the sequel has earned $415.1 million in North America, and $587.5 million internationally, the No. 1 film of the year by both measures.

A third film, "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End," is shooting in Los Angeles with plans for release next May.

Key cast members including Depp,
    Keira Knightley and
    Orlando Bloom are returning. Additionally, Rolling Stones guitarist
    Keith Richards has just flown in to shoot a cameo role, a source close to the set said.

Richards, on whom Depp modeled his flamboyant character, Captain Jack Sparrow, has long been asked by producers to play Sparrow's father. The source declined to say what role Richards was playing.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Movies will stay strong at the box office until a more popular venue for dating starts taking customers away.
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

news flash! the sun will crash into the earth!
      I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
      [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

depressing

people are so shallow these days

Comment

Remember what's been happening to the price of tickets over the past decade. Gone with the Wind had IIRC 25 cent tickets. What were the price of tickets for Pirate II?

Movie companies put these numbers out to "prove" how the public is embracing their movies. But notice how they never release comparisons regarding the number of people going to see the movies.

Comment

Do they consider inflation when they make these "records?"
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

"Gone with the Wind" made only 140M in nominal terms. Inflation-adjusted, it's the highest grossing movie of all time. You should be able to find the info on the web.

Comment

They generally do consider inflation, but the cost of movie tickets has greatly outpaced it.
                "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
                  Movies will stay strong at the box office until a more popular venue for dating starts taking customers away.
                  Jaguar gets it

Comment

Awful film. It wasn't worth even the 50 cents out of my 6 Euros.

I didn't want to go but my friends did and I wanted to spend an evening out with them. That's how the movies work...
                    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
                    George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X