Bush admits to CIA secret prisons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush admits to CIA secret prisons

President Bush has acknowledged the existence of secret CIA prisons and said 14 key terrorist suspects have now been sent to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

The suspects, who include the alleged mastermind of the 9/11 attacks Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, have now been moved out of CIA custody and will face trial.

Mr Bush said the CIA's interrogation programme had been "vital" in saving lives, but denied the use of torture.

He said all suspects will be afforded protection under the Geneva Convention.

In a televised address alongside families of those killed in the 11 September 2001 attacks, Mr Bush said there were now no terrorist suspects under the CIA programme.

Mr Bush said he was making a limited disclosure of the CIA programme because interrogation of the men it held was now complete and because a US Supreme Court decision had stopped the use of military commissions for trials.

He said the CIA programme had interrogated a small number of key figures suspected of involvement in 9/11, the attack on the USS Cole in 2000 in Yemen and the 1998 attacks on US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.

Mr Bush spelled out how the questioning of detainee Abu Zubaydah had led to the capture of Ramzi Binalshibh, which in turn led to the detention of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed.

Mr Bush said the CIA had used an "alternative set of procedures", agreed with the justice department, once suspects had stopped talking.

But he said: "The US does not torture. I have not authorised it and I will not."

He said the questioning methods had prevented attacks inside the US and saved US lives.

"This programme has helped us to take potential mass murderers off the streets before they have a chance to kill," the president said.

The CIA programme had caused some friction with European allies. Some EU lawmakers said the CIA carried out clandestine flights to transport terror suspects.

Revised guidelines

Mr Bush said he was asking Congress to authorise military commissions and once that was done "the men our intelligence officials believe orchestrated the deaths of nearly 3,000 Americans on September 11 2001 can face justice".

All suspects will now be treated under new guidelines issued by the Pentagon on Wednesday, which bring all military detainees under the protection of the Geneva Convention.

The move marks a reversal in policy for the Pentagon, which previously argued that many detainees were unlawful combatants who did not qualify for such protections.

The new guidelines forbid all torture, the use of dogs to intimidate prisoners, water boarding - the practice of submerging prisoners in water - any kind of sexual humiliation, and many other interrogation techniques.

The BBC's Adam Brookes in Washington says that in one stroke the Pentagon is moving to defuse all criticism of the way it treats the people it has captured in its war against terrorism.

The US administration has faced criticism from legal experts and human rights activists over the policy on detentions of terrorism suspects.

Mr Bush also said he was asking Congress to pass urgent legislation to clarify the terms under which those fighting the war on terror could operate.

He said the laws must make it explicit that US personnel were fulfilling their obligations under the Geneva Convention.

Mr Bush said those questioning suspected terrorists must be able to use everything under the law to save US lives.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

I'm shocked - shocked!!
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

I am not
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

Comment

Let's laugh at people who didn't see this coming...
      Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009
      "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there's no conspiracy"

Comment

water boarding - the practice of submerging prisoners in water

As far as I know, this is an incorrect description of the waterboarding techniques used by the CIA. Not that I expect the media to care about accuracy in such things...
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I'm sure they'll release a correction real soon, Drake:

"On September 6, we incorrectly described a government-approved form of torture designed to simulate drowning. The correct method of breaking a man's mind via fear of death is [X]. We apologize for the factual inaccuracy."
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by MMC
            Let's laugh at people who didn't see this coming...
            Wait, you actually believed that Bush would admit this to be true?
            "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
            -Joan Robinson

Comment

Maybe not Bush himself, but it would come out eventually...

Maybe it'll teach the US government that the best way to avoid embaressment is to not do anything embaressing... meh, pipe dream.
              Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009
              "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there's no conspiracy"

Comment

They will have a fair trial, and then they'll be shot.

Colonel Klink
                He's got the Midas touch.
                But he touched it too much!
                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                  I'm sure they'll release a correction real soon, Drake:

"On September 6, we incorrectly described a government-approved form of torture designed to simulate drowning. The correct method of breaking a man's mind via fear of death is [X]. We apologize for the factual inaccuracy."
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

As for the CIA program... I admit I'm not exactly outraged. I'm concerned, but I'd rather the CIA be engaging in some shadowy interrogations than be invading/bombing other countries, or sitting back and waiting for the next group of whackjobs to blow up a bunch of Americans.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Nobody cares? The administration spent months denying this. Other governments wouldn't talk about it. Now Bush finally admits it and everybody goes, "meh?"

I don't understand what the point of these secret CIA prisons is/was. These guys could have been held in Afghanistan, Iraq or Guantanamo. So why weren't they?

I've read some articles that this is going to be a big political point because the Democrats will now be forced to pass the "Special Court" rules or be accused of letting 9/11 terrorists walk free. To which the obvious response is - "You jackasses didn't build up a good enough case in the first place. Just stop torturing every Tom, Dick and Harry and do your job."
                      I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                      New faces...Strange places,
                      Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                      -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

I care, I'm just not surprised. Seriously, there really isn't anything this Admin can do at this point that would change my opinion of their performance (downright awful).

-Arrian

Comment

Maybe... maybe this is all a ruse. A joke. Maybe Bush is really just a clown who's tyring to see how badly he can do his job before Congress kicks him out of office. Not because of any malice, not because of poor judgment, but really, just for the hell of it!
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

OMG, is this a new reality show? Holy crap, it all comes together. Some ass is going to jump out and yell, "You've been Punkizzled!"
                            I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                            New faces...Strange places,
                            Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                            -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

And then Al Gore will come back.
                              Last edited by Lorizael; September 7, 2006, 15:18.
                              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                              X