Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Mich. split on affirmative action

Mon Sep 4, 9:22 AM ET

DETROIT - A ballot measure that would scrap many of Michigan's affirmative action programs is running about even in a new poll published Monday, with 41 percent of likely voters saying they would approve it and 43 percent opposed.

Sixteen percent had yet to decide how they would vote on the Nov. 7 ballot proposal, called the Michigan Civil Rights Initiative.

Michigan took a prominent role in the national debate over affirmative action in 2003, when the
    U.S. Supreme Court upheld general affirmative action admissions policy at the University of Michigan Law School but struck down the university's undergraduate affirmative action formula as too rigid because it awarded points based on race.

One of the plaintiffs in the undergraduate admissions lawsuit was Jennifer Gratz, who now serves as executive director of the Michigan Civil Rights Initiative.

The ballot proposal, if approved, would amend the state Constitution to ban affirmative action programs that give preferential treatment for public employment, education or contracts based on race, gender, color, ethnicity or national origin.

Opponents argue the proposal would eliminate programs designed to help women and minorities. They include local chapters of the ACLU, NAACP,
    National Organization for Women, Triangle Foundation,
    United Auto Workers and several religious and university groups, among others.

Monday's poll of 803 likely voters was conducted last week for the Detroit Free Press and WDIV-TV by Selzer & Co. of Des Moines, Iowa. It has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

Last week, a federal judge in Detroit dismissed a lawsuit seeking to have the proposal barred from the ballot because of alleged fraud in the collection of petition signatures. The group By Any Means Necessary, which opposes the initiative, said it will appeal.

___

On the Net:

Michigan Civil Rights Initiative: http://www.michigancivilrights.org

One United Michigan: http://www.oneunitedmichigan.org
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

What a bad name for an activist group, Any Means Necessary? Come on, that's just painting a target on you.

Affirmative Action
    Monkey!!!

Comment

You fooled me Sloww. I thought there'd be a poll in this thread.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I guess there could be an ACS poll. Is Affirmative Action now destined to become an historical footnote?
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'm a raving liberal and even I don't like affirmative action.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
            Affirmative Action
            Racism

Comment

same thing
              Monkey!!!

Comment

yes, we agree

government-sanctioned racism becoming a historical footnote

Comment

We had a thread on this subject the other week. I'm glad to see that Michigan is having doubts about AA, while the British Government is busy institutionalising it by insisting on ethnic quotas from its suppliers.

Comment

Working...
                  X