Median income by state: changes under Bush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TCO
    1. You need to include cost of benefits as well. My understanding is that they have been rising.

2. Part of the reason for lowering the median is expansion of lower paying jobs (including many for illegal immigrants). Would a higher unemployment rate but with a better "median" be better? (Like a company that prefers high margin, low volume over the converse?)
    Much as I hate to say it, I think TCO has touched on the main reasons.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
      No they aren't.

If 230,000 new jobs a month are needed in order for the same percentage of the population to be employed, then a number 50,000 below that is a relative job loss. A growing percentage of the population is without work, as opposed to unemplyed, which assumes you had work to begin with and lost it and have been actively looking within the last six months.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The problem with your theory is that the true number is more like 150,000, not 230,000.

Even less are needed to lower some measures.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

If 230,000 new jobs a month are needed in order for the same percentage of the population to be employed, then a number 50,000 below that is a relative job loss.

The figure, as I recall, is around 130,000. Either that, or DanS has been posting net numbers. Either way it's been job growth.

Comment

Actually, since neither of us have sources for our numbers, I'm just going to wait until one of the economists comes in and answers it.

Comment

I have the source somewhere, I just can't be arsed to look for it and post it for the hundredth time on Poly.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                You know that isn't how it is. You won't ge tpaid for the labor-saving widget you made.. instead a corporation will be paid for the labor-saving widget you made.. and you will get paid just as much as the other labor.

JM
                Corporations compete for labour. If Kuci can make a better widget, he will be valued more highly than someone who can't.
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Power to the people (go out for an interview every now and then)

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                    Because I for one would fight to protect my widget. If you want one, get your own
                    You'll be fighting the mob.

This is how it is. We used to get paid 3 widgets for making 5 with your tools. Now it's down to getting paid to make 2 widgets for making 5 with your new more productive tools, but we still take home the same amount after the day is done. When your tools get to where we will only get paid 1 widget for making 5, and we still get paid the same we will take your tools and increase our pay 5 fold. For a 5 fold increase in pay you will not be able to defend against a mob.
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                      Corporations compete for labour.
                      If that were so you would interview them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                        If that were so you would interview them.
                        I did, pretty much. And I chose which one to work for because it offered me more of what I wanted than any of the others.
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

I did, pretty much. And I chose which one to work for because it offered me more of what I wanted than any of the others.
                          Do you think you could look at things from a larger perspective?

Comment

Do you think you could look at things from a larger perspective?
                            Enlighten me.

Comment

Enlighten me.
                              Wouldn't you say that no more than 5% of people share your experience?

Comment

Wouldn't you say that no more than 5% of people share your experience?
                                I think that almost everyone gets to choose where s/he wants to work. Unless they live under Communism.

Comment

Working...
                                X