Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solve Rufus's audio dilemma

Here's the deal:

Owing to a stupid mishap my stereo tuner/amplifier is no more. I've never been much of an audiofile -- music lover, yes, but not audiofile -- and it's not like I lost a precious piece of equipment; it was a ten-year-old Rotel that was hooked up to 12-year-old Bose bookshelf speakers and a 16-year-old Sony multidisc cd player. Not much of a set-up, as you can see, but now its gone. The question is, what to do? The provisos is, I want to spend next-to-no time solving the problem (e.g., I am not going to burn my entire 500+ cd collection to a hard drive), and I want the solution to cost under 300 bucks. Three possibilities suggest themselves:

1) New tuner/amplifier. Advantage: plenty of options in my price range; radio (which I never really listen abroad, but would like when back in the US). Disadvantage: still have to cart around my bulky, mediocre stereo setup.

2) Home theater speakers. Advantage: My TV and DVD player are brand new, and cds sound pretty good on that set-up already. With a home theater set up, they'd sound great, and I could be done with the older components once and for all. Plus, I'd have a home theater. Disadvantage: no multidisc, a feature I use a lot, especially when entertaining.

3) The option I'm not thinking of.

Okay, what should I do?
    New tuner/amplifier
    0.00%
    Home theater speakers
    66.67%
    Something else
    0.00%
    It's not the stereo that's the problem; it's the banana in your ear
    33.33%
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Home theater speakers, and deal with it. If you broke down and ran off pc when required, you'd have it all.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Actually, now that you say that, i think my dvd player can play mp3s on cd -- so I could put ~10 hours of jazz on a cd (which is to say, I could order my daughter to do it), and then I'd have party music without the need for a multidisc player. Hmmm...
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

"order my daughter".
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
        X