Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Repudiation of Ralph Klein

Oilsands plan needed now, Lougheed says
    Former premier says the Klein government should have staggered development, put more conditions on oil companies
    Jason Fekete, CanWest News Service
    Published: Sunday, September 03, 2006
    CALGARY - Former Alberta premier Peter Lougheed has sharply criticized the government of departing Premier Ralph Klein for failing to properly plan oilsands growth, creating a "mess" that is depriving the province of royalty revenues.

The Klein government's strategy to encourage unparalleled investment in the oilsands sparked an overheated economy due to several concurrent projects in the Fort McMurray area, Lougheed said during an interview with The Herald.

That has driven up the price for labour and materials, with construction costs for oilsands operations soaring more than 100 per cent in some cases.

Perhaps most importantly, he said, it is delaying by several years the time frame for when the ventures will become profitable. It has amounted to what Lougheed calls "a mess."

And with the government receiving payout on the projects only after capital costs are covered, he said Albertans are missing out right now on their share of the public resources.

"Having all these projects go concurrently is going to substantially reduce the return to the owner -- and we're the owner," said Lougheed, who was Alberta's premier from 1971 to 1985.

"The new premier has to look at how they're going to have a more orderly development in the oilsands."

That development should have one oilsands project completed before another one starts up, to prevent cost escalations and delayed payment of royalties.

"The real essence of it has to be a better plan," Lougheed said.

On Thursday, Klein dropped a political bombshell after his final day in the legislature, acknowledging "there wasn't a plan" for Alberta's petro-fuelled economy, and that he only recognized as little as six months ago the "phenomenal growth" taking place.

The shoot-from-the-lip premier also admitted the boom is proceeding too quickly and that a "proper" economy should be sustainable.

"We were prepared for sustainable growth, but not the kind of growth that occurred," said Klein, who will retire by December after 14 years in power.

"Perhaps, given more time, (growth) can be handled. But I don't have more time."

About 90,000 newcomers arrived in Alberta last year alone, according to government data. Scorching growth in the oilsands and the battle for trained workers is producing a labour crunch that's rapidly driving up construction costs, housing prices and the inflation rate.

University of Lethbridge political scientist Peter McCormick said the Klein Tories could have planned "big, new ideas" had they been better prepared for the economic surge.

But Klein's major vision for the province, he said, was always to eliminate the deficit and pay down a debt that totalled about $23 billion in the early 1990s.

Once the provincial mortgage had been burned by 2004, Klein seemed rudderless and unable to properly plan the province's future, McCormick said.

"He didn't have the vision of government taking charge," he said. "It was a reactive government, rather than a proactive government."

Provincial Conservative leadership hopeful Lyle Oberg -- a recent Infrastructure and Transportation minister who oversaw major projects -- agreed the government was too slow in addressing growth. "This is the time to remedy this, to get ahead of the game," Oberg said.

But he disputes claims that Alberta's economy is out of control, and isn't so sure the next premier should overhaul the royalty structure or slow oilsands development.

"The danger is slamming on the brakes," said Oberg.

He said he is willing, however, to review the royalty scheme to ensure it's a "win-win scenario."

Lougheed, whose battles with Ottawa over the National Energy Program in the early 1980s are part of Alberta lore, said the province's current economy is leaving a lot of losers and few winners.

In particular, farmers, small-business owners and people of fixed incomes are struggling to keep pace.

"If you overheat an economy and you affect citizens generally in terms of the costs of everything they buy . . . you're to the detriment of the citizens today," he said.

Lougheed said "he wouldn't have envisioned" that the Klein government would have permitted so much oilsands development without more conditions, like greater requirements for companies to help fund capital projects in the mined areas.

During his time in office, Lougheed said his government established conditions for Syncrude to work in an orderly way with the government to develop the provincial facilities necessary in northeast Alberta.

"What conditions, if any, did the province put on the oilsands projects?" he asked of the Klein government.

Political scientist McCormick argued that Klein's long-held plan of letting the market prevail failed Albertans when it was clearly time for the government to step in and help manage the economy.

The government's inability to adequately plan in the last few years is best epitomized through the allocation of the $400 prosperity cheques earlier this year to nearly all Albertans -- at a cost of $1.3 billion to the provincial treasury.

"That's always been the most splendid measure of the lack of vision of the government," he said.

© The Edmonton Journal 2006

Interesting times...
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Most governments drift after several terms in power.

The article acknowledges Klein's firts priority upon coming to power - reduce/eliminate the deficit.

Where he went afterward was the problem.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil

Where he went afterward was the problem.
      Yup -- he had no plan whatsoever for "after" the debt was slain. The government has gone in fits and starts in various directions but the reality is that the economy is a little too hot.

The result is that it is too expensive to build the infratsucture needed for all the new people coming here attracted by the high wages.

I saw in ther newspapaper that one Calagary restaurant is offering 15 an hour to its staff. Thats 13.50 USD or 10.53 euros ( for the non- Canadians) !!

And this is just the beginning. What kinds of demands will nurses and teachers have when their contracts next come up??
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Yes, high wages but nowhere to live.

I heard an article about a couple that moved from Manitoba. Both got jobs the first day but had to quit and go back after a month b/c the rent at the motel they were staying at ate up the extra $$.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
          I saw in ther newspapaper that one Calagary restaurant is offering 15 an hour to its staff. Thats 13.50 USD or 10.53 euros ( for the non- Canadians) !!
          And that's supposed to be huge?

And this is just the beginning. What kinds of demands will nurses and teachers have when their contracts next come up??
          My, they might even demand 18$ an hour!
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I don't know what minimum wage in Alberta is these days but it is about $8 an hour in Ontario.

$15 an hour for wait staff is pretty damn good.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
              $15 an hour for wait staff is pretty damn good.
              Considering that doesn't include tips, yeah. Tips can be HUGE!
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

My, they might even demand 18$ an hour!
                For wait staff to be making DOUBLE the minimum wage is yup pretty huge. As for nurses, they can make around $35 an hour at present. That hasn't changes yet but with wage inflation at the lower skilled jobs , you will start seeing demands for more from these folks ( both from a feeling they deserve more and because of the inflation in rents and housing prices.)
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

It is when it is customary to tip 10 to 20%.

Wait staff have conventionally made the minimum wage and lived off the tips.

Also keep in mind that most of the tips are tax free. Canada Revenue has a formula where they want to see some small amount declared as income. If you go by their guide they'll never bother you and you'll have a large amount of untaxed income.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

Yup -- he had no plan whatsoever for "after" the debt was slain. The government has gone in fits and starts in various directions but the reality is that the economy is a little too hot.
                    He went one election too long, and too many people in most parts of the province were oblivious to the fact that there was no plan.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                      Wait staff have conventionally made the minimum wage and lived off the tips.
                      Oh ok. Not in France. Service is included in the price here, hence the idea that wage = income for the waiters.

In any case, your minimal wage seems to be a pittance. It must be hard to feed a family if you earn only that.
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Not many people work for minimum wage under normal circumstances. High-school students working part time jobs, people with disabilities who can't get jobs in the mainstream, and people in the service industry and or sales where tips and or commission are expected to be the main source of income.

Even then, McDonald's (and many others) paid higher than minimum wage before the labour shortage set in.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

Oh ok. Not in France. Service is included in the price here, hence the idea that wage = income for the waiters.

In any case, your minimal wage seems to be a pittance. It must be hard to feed a family if you earn only that.

What NYE said . . .

Seriously the only people feeding their families as waiters here get jobs in places where people tip. In a snootier place a waiter probably gets $15-$25 for a couple that he serves for less than 2 hours. In a busier eatery, the wait staff may avergae $3-$5 per person they serve in tips and the table churn is much faster.

I agree that no one can support a family adequately on minimum wage.

Comment

Working...
                          X