Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DC residential architecture snaps for Colon (big pic warning)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The side of the house, with a parking garage mostly below-grade.
    Attached Files
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

On the same block. Modern style. Fairly pleasing to my eye, with the window-heavy facade. On the left, you can see a vacant lot under construction. A hole about 2 storeys deep. Also, in the distance, you can see the back of the Florida Avenue condo building, below.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by DanS; September 6, 2006, 21:35.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Immediately to the right is an abandoned church (hey, you can find crackchurches in DC too!). Could make a very interesting element of a future building. To the right of the church is a vacant corner lot.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by DanS; September 6, 2006, 21:28.

Comment

Across the street, architecture that some Northern Euros might find more familiar. Modern style. New construction.

I don't find this style to be pleasing. The Washington style is much more familiar and comfortable to me.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by DanS; September 6, 2006, 21:31.

Comment

Straight on.
            Attached Files

Comment

Around the corner facing Florida Avenue is a large condo building of new construction. Modern highlights.
              Attached Files

Comment

A fuller view of this building. It's getting dark!
                Attached Files

Comment

Lastly, getting back into the Logan Circle area, is an interesting play on the Washington style rowhouse.

A hobbit hole. There are a few instances of this style around the city.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                    Across the street, architecture that some Northern Euros might find more familiar. Modern style. New construction.

I don't find this style to be pleasing. The Washington style is much more familiar and comfortable to me.
                    This is the 21st century, no time to waste on parochialism.
                    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Old Red: 1893 Dallas County Courthouse
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I would love to see such a building in the heart of DC for the sake of provocation. (currently under construction in Riga)
                        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Wow, I sure don't prefer that style.

How much does a place in that building cost?

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

Old Red: 1893 Dallas County Courthouse
                            Similar style to the Old Post Office Building here in DC. Completed 1899. Being part of official DC, it was built with stone rather than brick, however.

CoStar, the world leader in commercial real estate information, has the most comprehensive database of real estate data throughout the US, Canada, UK and France.

CoStar, the world leader in commercial real estate information, has the most comprehensive database of real estate data throughout the US, Canada, UK and France.

It opened to mixed reviews at the time, but I think it looks great.

Comment

I sense such architecture is an attempt to compensate for your lack of history.

Comment

I don't know the origin of the style. Don't think it was in vogue for long for official buildings. Union Station was built in an industrial American beaux-arts style soon after, f.e.
                                Last edited by DanS; September 7, 2006, 02:11.

Comment

Working...
                                X