Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DC residential architecture snaps for Colon (big pic warning)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't seem all that bad. At least it's not trying to pretend being something it's not.

I'm still not convinced it's better in other cities, though Baltimore's waterfront seemed ok.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Doesn't seem all that bad. At least it's not trying to pretend being something it's not.
      But after the requisite waiting period on architecture, it's generally considered by Washingtonians to be a poor-looking building that costs a fortune in maintenance and still doesn't work right.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Pictures from Bruges for a change, and this is a city that's trying to bypass modernity:

DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
          The Washington style. You can identify it by the brick rowhouses and the rounded corners. Very pleasant, in my opinion.

Logan Circle at Rhode Island Avenue. Vintage 1890s or 1900s. Gutted and rebuilt interiors in the late 1990s through 2000s timeframe.
          It's only sale too, for about four and a half million bucks.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

That second one is ugly as hell.
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Colon, you have to hate France.

All new buildings have to conform with the style of the neighbourhoods. All modifications to a building need to conform as well. This isn't only true for Paris, this is true for the entire territory.
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                It's only sale too, for about four and a half million bucks.
                Do you know that to be true, or are you just being sarcastic?

$4.5 million sounds a little high.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Antwerp seems really ugly...
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Today, I found an honest-to-goodness block of modern residential architecture. 11th & V Streets, N.W. I'll post pics when I get a chance. It's sort of between neighborhoods. The block is only half transitioned.

It struck me how many billions of dollars are going into residential real estate in DC near where I live. But I wonder if it's enough to win out over the craziness in the end. How many people with oodles of cash really want to live in a very urban environment in the city?
                    Last edited by DanS; September 5, 2006, 03:06.

Comment

DC doesn't look very inspirative.

Do all building entrances face outwards towards the road? Are there any buildings that are oriented around their (back) yards, or a common small park?

Do people park mostly on the roads? Is there enough parking space?

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                        Related to this, the movie The Minority Report was filmed mostly in DC. The imagined futuristic city where the lead character lived was across the Potomac in the Rosslyn suburb, where architecture isn't controlled nearly as much as in DC (no height restrictions, etc.). It's possible to imagine cars driving on the sides of skyscrapers there, I suppose.

However, the city of DC itself where the lead character bagged the pre-murderer was in a neighborhood of DC, the look of which was the same in the future as it is today.

Really nice touches by Spielberg in that movie as it relates to Washington.
                        I wandered down to the set during the taping of that. The scene where they were chasing each other through the kitchen of the Willard, I saw that scene being filmed. It was neat.

None of the movie crew knew what the movie was they were working on. A few of them only knew that Steven Spielberg and Tom Cruise were working on it, but many didn't even know that much, heh. So I was biking around the place trying to figure out what movie was being made. I didn't really know for sure till I looked it up online when I got home.
                        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                          Is there enough parking space?
                          No!!

I never drive downtown if I can avoid it. Finding a place to park with my enormous car is a frustrating task.
                          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

No, DC residential architecture isn't inspirational. Lots of very nice liveable buildings, however. The architecture that I posted is very pleasing to American tastes. I would be interested in hearing if anybody thinks that these buildings are ugly (I won't take it personally).

Do all building entrances face outwards towards the road? Are there any buildings that are oriented around their (back) yards, or a common small park?
                            The vast majority face toward the road and many have small lawns in front, as you can see from the pics that I have posted. The US has very few buildings in the Mediterranean style. Rome was quite a shock for me, f.e.

Do people park mostly on the roads? Is there enough parking space?
                            Many people park on the streets, but residential buildings -- especially the newer, larger ones -- tend to have underground parking. DC is atypical of US cities in that it has few above-ground parking garages. The zoning doesn't allow it. There is parking on land that is waiting to be developed, however.

Also, I note that DC is one of the few U.S. cities where you can get by without a car (I don't have a car).
                            Last edited by DanS; September 5, 2006, 12:42.

Comment

Evidence!

Minimal steel framing, mostly wood construction on 4-storey condos. It's supposed to have a brick facade. Near Logan Circle.

If you get to 5 storeys, I'm sure it's all steel reinforced concrete construction.
                              Attached Files

Comment

10th & V Streets, N.W. New construction. Novel architecture. More abstract.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X