Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DC residential architecture snaps for Colon (big pic warning)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanS
    Most of the residential buildings try to at least reference the Washington style -- established more or less in the 1890s -- rather than break new ground for the 2000s. I hate to say that experimental architecture is unwelcome, but you don't really see that many experimental residential buildings. In essence, I agree with what you said.
    And if you don't conform to the stylistic standards do you risk getting your application rejected, or is it more of a spontaneous adherence to the standards, or...? Architectural conformity is a non-existant concept in my home-city, so I'm having some trouble understanding this.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
      Bethesda FTW!
      From what little I've seen, it doesn't really scream Washington to me. Maybe if you post some examples, I will be turned from my errant ways...
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
        And if you don't conform to the stylistic standards do you risk getting your application rejected, or is it more of a spontaneous adherence to the standards, or...? Architectural conformity is a non-existant concept in my home-city, so I'm having some trouble understanding this.
        To be honest, I don't know if the historical architecture board has veto powers, but if you want an easement on your zoning, for instance, the AOK from the historical architecture board may prove influential. Also, as stated, there are tax breaks for historic preservation.

AFAIK, the historical architecture board doesn't have quite the powers of the federal government DC planning commissions, which are the (welcome) architecture nazis of Washington.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I don't understand how you can approve such sameness. Aren't you guys supposed to emphasize individuality? Dynamism? Forward-looking?
          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Look elsewhere. The heavy hand of the federal government controls DC.

Really, it has always been like this in DC. From the founding, it was a planned city under congressional control.

The founders knew it would be like this. That's why they sequestered DC and the federal gov't from places like NYC, Philadelphia, and the like.

Besides, the style looks nice.
            Last edited by DanS; September 4, 2006, 00:50.

Comment

Related to this, the movie The Minority Report was filmed mostly in DC. The imagined futuristic city where the lead character lived was across the Potomac in the Rosslyn suburb, where architecture isn't controlled nearly as much as in DC (no height restrictions, etc.). It's possible to imagine cars driving on the sides of skyscrapers there, I suppose.

However, the city of DC itself where the lead character bagged the pre-murderer was in a neighborhood of DC, the look of which was the same in the future as it is today.

Really nice touches by Spielberg in that movie as it relates to Washington.

Comment

I think it's freaky.

Here, this is a recent residence building in a street that consists of 19th century buildings, along a bunch of medieval ones and even a protected church:

Or this, although the picture doesn't quite justify the contrast you experience IRL, but it's the best I could find:

Comment

I thought Rosslyn was quite ok, still nothing interesting, but it was diverse, with a certain organized chaos-feeling to it.

Comment

I think it's freaky.

Here, this is a recent residence building in a street that consists of 19th century buildings, along a bunch of medieval ones and even a protected church:

Or this, although the picture doesn't quite justify the contrast you experience IRL, but it's the best I could find:

That brings up an interesting point. It probably would be impossible to have more uniform architecture in a place like Antwerp, which was built over centuries.

Anyway, do you find Paris architecture displeasing or its uniformity freaky?

Comment

I haven't been to Paris since I was a kid so I can't really say. Amsterdam freaks me out however, but it's even more uniform than DC. I think I even prefer Atlanta over Amsterdam.

Comment

I thought Rosslyn was quite ok, still nothing interesting, but it was diverse, with a certain organized chaos-feeling to it.
                        Every time I go to Rosslyn, I die a little. Almost as bad as Cyrstal City, an internationalist hellhole.

Comment

Well, on second thought, I'm being a little harsh about Rosslyn.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

That brings up an interesting point. It probably would be impossible to have more uniform architecture in a place like Antwerp, which was built over centuries.
                            I think it is possible (see Amsterdam), but seeking contrast is something of a sport around here, resulting in outrageously modern buildings next to one some of the oldest pieces of heritage. I like it that way. We aren't closet-fascists you see.

Comment

[I really have to learn to read the entire thread before responding.]
                              Last edited by The Mad Monk; September 4, 2006, 01:49.
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

The only problem I have with that approach is that its tough to tear down experiments that didn't turn out quite right.

We have a Mies for our headquarters library. It's a POS 30 years after being built. Everybody knows it's a POS. The city is going to have a tough time tearing it down, however, because there aren't many of his works in the US. The city is going to build a new library nearby and has slated the Mies for purposes to be named later.

Comment

Working...
                                X