Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DC residential architecture snaps for Colon (big pic warning)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some new construction in the 16th/17th Street area. Condo building with references to the Washington style.
    Attached Files
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Interesting art deco building catecorner to the new condo building shown above. The Chasleton at R and 16th Street. The first storey has cathedral ceilings (it looks like 2 storeys from the outside). Right next to a church across the street; you see clear references to the church.

It might need to be gutted and rebuilt. Looks like they are doing something to it. Haven't been in it.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by DanS; September 4, 2006, 15:55.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The infamous The Cairo, which was built in the 1890s and led to the institution of height restrictions in DC. Scandalous architecture at the time. Swan ky hotel that became a haven for drug users and hookers. Rebuilt in the 1970s as an apartment building.

Edit: Can't even say s****y.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by DanS; September 3, 2006, 23:33.

Comment

The entrance to The Cairo.
          Attached Files

Comment

The facade.
            Attached Files

Comment

Moving back to the Logan Circle neighborhood about 3 blocks from The Cairo. New condo construction, some of which used design elements from existing buildings (the facades to the right are actually part of the corner building). In the distant middle-left, you can see more new condos. Several blocks of spendy new condos in various states of construction.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by DanS; September 3, 2006, 23:34.

Comment

Across the street is the fish market, which I can't imagine will be able to afford the rent for long. In the Washington style.
                Attached Files

Comment

Rounding out the tour, once you get to the commercial section, a couple blocks still have some references to the Washington style. This is the University of California's campus in Washington (at Thomas Circle). Early 2000s build.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I'm still a bit mystified about your whole "novelty is not a goal" remark. What exactly do you mean by that?

I thought this building was rather nice:

DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

The Washington style has references in some embassies, even with a prefabbed concrete facade. The embassy of the Phillipines at Thomas Circle.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hehe, I had forgotten about the Cairo. That's a bizarre building for sure, also because of its location.
                        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
                          I'm still a bit mystified about your whole "novelty is not a goal" remark. What exactly do you mean by that?
                          Most of the residential buildings try to at least reference the Washington style -- established more or less in the 1890s -- rather than break new ground for the 2000s. I hate to say that experimental architecture is unwelcome, but you don't really see that many experimental residential buildings. In essence, I agree with what you said, at least so far as it goes in Washington.

The Cairo was also built in the 1890s and was pretty experimental for the time. Maybe if The Cairo hadn't been so roundly criticized, a tradition of experimentation would have been established when people were throwing around some money.

All this said, I really like the Washington style. It is very pleasing residential and takes the edge off of a very masculine downtown.
                          Last edited by DanS; September 4, 2006, 00:19.

Comment

I was just going to say I was disappointed seeing the Ronald Reagan Building's faux-classicism, but then I saw pictures of the interior, which are actually pretty cool:

Comment

Can you just link to that last image? It's screwing up my screen.

Edit: OK, that's better.

Comment

Neo-classicism is the norm for official DC. The Ronald Reagan building is just the modern, gold-plated version of it.

Again, that's DC's look, but you do get an innovative building here or there for the public buildings. Like the IMF, which you show, above. I consider that a public building.

Our firm often has its Christmas party at the Ronald Reagan building and the interior indeed is rather impressive.
                                Last edited by DanS; September 4, 2006, 00:18.

Comment

Working...
                                X