Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DC residential architecture snaps for Colon (big pic warning)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC residential architecture snaps for Colon (big pic warning)

From the other thread, Colon described US architecture as lacking novelty, except for some public buildings. Even though DC is an atypical US city in many respects, I readily admit that DC lacks instances of residential architecture novelty.

Novelty and experimentation is not the goal. It's more that the residential architecture is a play on the theme. There are historical architecture boards that have some power over construction, but if you wanted to do something novel, you probably could. However, in DC, history pays. You can get certain tax breaks for improving buildings built long ago in the Washington style, so long as the facades are maintained.

Some caveats/information before we see some snaps that I took today while riding around on my bike:

(1) The city of DC is only about 1/10th of the Washington metropolitan area. The suburbs are not done in the same style as DC proper.

(2) Some neighborhoods have slightly different styles. Georgetown is in a slightly different style than DuPont Circle. DuPont Circle is in a slightly different style than Shaw/Logan Circle. But DuPont Circle and Shaw/Logan Circle tend to share more design elements. Mostly to do with the era that the structures were built.

(3) The neighborhoods of DC have been built when money became available. Mainly, this is 1890s-1900s (Washington style), the 1920s through 1940s (art deco), and early 2000s (Washington style revival). Many neighborhoods of DC have been ravished by general factors common to US cities, including the race riots of the 1960s, white flight in the 1960s through 1980s, and the crack/crime epidemic of the late 1980s and 1990s.

(4) I'm not an architect and am only showing things as I see them. Perhaps the architects here, such as Smiley, can correct anything that they see wrong. Also, these snaps are of generally poor quality.

(5) All of these snaps are within 2 or 3 blocks of zoned commercial. All of these areas are right next to downtown.
    Last edited by DanS; September 3, 2006, 22:30.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

The Washington style. You can identify it by the brick rowhouses and the rounded corners. Very pleasant, in my opinion.

Logan Circle at Rhode Island Avenue. Vintage 1890s or 1900s. Gutted and rebuilt interiors in the late 1990s through 2000s timeframe.
    Attached Files
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

11 Logan Circle. Brick build with rounded corners. As with the others, built in 1890s to 1900s. Gutted and rebuilt interiors in the late 1990s to 2000s.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by DanS; September 3, 2006, 22:29.

Comment

Right off Logan Circle in the Shaw neighborhood (or Shaw Historical District, if you prefer). The group of people that you can see are gay activists campaigning with mayoral candidate Fenty (one of whom lives in my building, is a good guy, and a good leader). The reason why I mention this is because the gays tend to be the vanguard of gentrification. They move in, rebuild a neighborhood that has been trashed, and make it safe for the less adventurous. This neighborhood is still a little sketchy.

Built 1890s or 1900s. Gutted and rebuilt interior 2000s.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by DanS; September 3, 2006, 22:35.

Comment

Here is a facade that is being maintained in Shaw next to the new DC Convention Center. A common method of "historical preservation" in DC nowadays.
          Attached Files

Comment

Across the street, the new DC Convention Center. 2000s. Somewhat novel architecture for DC, because it uses more glass than normal, but still has lots of faux stone that makes it fit into the city. Really quite a jewel on the edge of Shaw. Cost a whole helluva lot and is huge.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by DanS; September 3, 2006, 22:57.

Comment

I was expecting big pictures. Your pictures clearly aren't big.

Originally posted by DanS
              (1) The city of DC is only about 1/10th of the Washington metropolitan area. The suburbs are not done in the same style as DC proper.
              Bethesda FTW!
              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Across the street from the DC Convention Center are buildings whose facades probably will be included as elements in new construction. Sketchville.
                Attached Files

Comment

New condo building next to the DC Convention Center that supplanted a lot of crackhouses, etc. One bedroom condos from the high 300s. The novelty in this building appears to be a reference to the infamous Cairo, about a dozen blocks away (shown below) in the 17th Street part of town next to DuPont Circle.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Detailed facade on this building.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Across the street from the new condo building, rehabbed brick rowhouses in the Washington style. Linda Cropp is a candidate for mayor, so that's why there's a campaign sign in this house's front yard.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by DanS; September 4, 2006, 00:33.

Comment

I missed a fuller snap of the DC Convention Center. 6 blocks by 2 blocks. Mostly underground.

Not many businesses have moved into the storefronts of the convention center yet. Looks like a couple of breweries, bakeries and other yuppyville amenities are moving in. Maybe I'll move into the neighborhood, once the crackheads move on from the area and the real estate prices settle.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by DanS; September 4, 2006, 15:54.

Comment

A hollowed out crackhouse that may be included as an element in new construction that is occurring behind the house. The house has some nice elements.
                          Attached Files

Comment

New condo building down the street in Shaw. Getting close to zoned commercial (count the storeys). This is about as novel as it gets for residential architecture (i.e., not much).
                            Attached Files

Comment

Moving to the 16th/17th Street area (near DuPont) that was reclaimed from the crazies during the 80s-90s. Here's a building that actually uses steel elements on the facade. The building next to it is art deco and looks like the interior needs to be gutted and rebuilt

Church and 16th.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X