Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VetLegion
    Basically, you see nothing wrong with people not getting their way
    The public is more divided than you think. It's more like 60-40 or 55-45. And the illegals tend to live in the cities, where immigration is more popular.

Besides, it's not as if controlling this border is easy. The federal gov't looks at it as an impossible task, in some respects.
    Last edited by DanS; September 4, 2006, 15:13.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DinoDoc
      Wouldn't it be easier and more productive to tackle the people who hire them
      There was an interesting lawsuit some weeks ago where one company sued a competitor because the competitor was using illegals. This tactic could be effective in some industries.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Free movement of goods, services, and people
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

American border guard: How do I know you're not trying to move here?
          Canadian: Why would I want to.
          Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

The public is more divided than you think. It's more like 60-40 or 55-45. And the illegals tend to live in the cities, where immigration is more popular.
            Can you link a good source, a reliable poll or something?

Here's where I got my info about the immigration issue: http://www.isteve.com

He has articles about how the polls are engineered to mask the real percentages.

Besides, it's not as if controlling this border is easy. The federal gov't looks at it as an impossible task, in some respects.
            Abovementioned author also writes that interpolating from Israeli costs in building the wall around the West Bank, walling off the US border with Mexico wouldn't be expensive at all.

Comment

Originally posted by DinoDoc
              No one wants to stop legal immigration. Well at least no one worth being taken seriously. It's the illegal kind people are concerned with. There's just a conflict on the best way to do that.
              Bingo. There are perhaps a few loons who would close the borders entirely, but by and large people get irritated about the whole "illegal" part of things. Personally, I'd like to make legal immigration somewhat easier in conjunction with better enforcement, but that sort of thing would ruin a perfectly good "wedge issue" for the politicians, so meh.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
              X