No announcement yet.

Mexican lawmakers block Fox's speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obrador is going to establish a parallel government, huh? Well, this could get interesting in a terrible sort of way. If things truly go to hell in Mexico, the immigration issues we have on the southern border now will pale in comparison to what's coming.

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Court certifies Mexico's presidential vote

AP
      Losing candidate Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador has vowed to ignore the court's ruling.

Felipe Calderon became president-elect of Mexico on Tuesday, two months after disputed elections, when the nation's top electoral court voted unanimously to reject allegations of fraud and certify his narrow victory. His leftist rival, Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, had said he would not recognize the ruling. His supporters wept as the decision was announced and the courthouse shook as protesters set off fireworks outside. "Felipe Calderon didn't win. Fraud won," opposition supporter Francisca Ojeda said, screaming to be heard over protesters throwing trash at the court and screaming "Fraud! Fraud!" The court found no evidence of systematic fraud, although it threw out some polling place results for mathematical errors, irregularities, and other problems that trimmed Calderon's 240,000-vote advantage to 233,831 votes out of 41.6 million cast. "There are no perfect elections," Judge Alfonsina Berta Navarro Hidalgo said.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

What a loser.

He should move on to advancing interest in the dangers of global warming or something.

Comment

I don't think it would matter if God (or the spirit of Karl Marx or whoever) himself came down and said Calderon got more votes, Obrador would still claim he was cheated.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

There's a good possibility he was.

It also reflects a basic fact of life in Mexico and a lot of other countries that you have a political, economic and social system designed to preserve the status quo and let a small percentage of perpetually rich people have all the real power, while the vast majority barely gets by with minimal standards of living and no real hope of social or economic mobility.

Whether they were explicitly and provably cheated in this specific election is questionable - whether they have been cheated for generations by the social and political system as a whole is beyond question.
            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Working...
            X