Albino Squirrel. The Other White Meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albino Squirrel. The Other White Meat

This is pretty much a bummer. I like watching squirrels.

Students mourn beloved rodent
    By TERRY LEE GOODRICH
    STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

DENTON -- A beloved albino squirrel has gone to gather nuts from that big tree in the sky, leaving thousands of University of North Texas students to mourn its passing.

In its two short years, the unnamed pure white creature with pink eyes brought luck to students who spotted it before exams, said graduate student T.J. Zambrano, 25, president of UNT's Albino Squirrel Preservation Society. But misfortune frowned on the squirrel Aug. 21 when a hawk swooped down on it. "The poor little guy stuck out like a sore thumb," Zambrano said.

Students will reminisce at a service at noon today near the Student Union Building, the squirrel's favorite scampering spot, university officials said.

"Some students saw the hawk and tried to shoo it away, but it was too late," Zambrano said. "Some animal control people took the body away. ...

"People constantly fed him. He had a good life."

This is the second albino squirrel that has lived on campus, he said. The first, Thelonius, inspired the founding of the preservation society in 2002 and vanished in 2003.

"We can only hope Mother Nature will bring us another albino squirrel," Zambrano said.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

But misfortune frowned on the squirrel Aug. 21 when a hawk swooped down on it. "The poor little guy stuck out like a sore thumb," Zambrano said.
    Evolution in action.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Evolution? Food chain, yes, but evolution?

Ok, I understand. The hungry hawk evolved into a full hawk. Ok.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Natural selection, rather. The albino fur was certainly selected against.

But evolution in action has a better ring to it than natural selection in action.

And really, I'm just being an ass.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

If it was a conservative squirrel, good for the hawk.

If it was a liberal squirrel, I will shoot the hawk myself.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

The squirrel was probably a racist sob.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

this was obviously an act of retaliation against the man
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
                The squirrel was probably a racist sob.

Does this mean that weasel in your avatar is racist!?
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

You have to admit, it is/was a pretty cute squirrel.

Comment

That weasel (actually a ferret) is The Wezil (RIP).

Racist? No, but he was a thug.
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Yes, it was cute.

Comment

Sloww - Have you seen a picture of the white (not albino) black bear?

It can be found at Snopes if you are interested.

Comment

I've not, but I'll look.

Comment

Sad ending, especially for the mama though.

Comment

Working...
                            X