No announcement yet.

Why don't scientists use drugs (more)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because drugs have long term consequences. While amphetamines can make you more alert and able to work better at the moment, they can cause problems in the future due to the effects of long term use.

Think of it like supercharging a car. It goes faster, but it's more likely to breakdown. If you're taking part in a short race, it's a good idea. If you're racing over a season, or longer, perhaps it isn't.

And Lightblue is right - an expose about Oxford found that over 20% of students use illegal drugs when they have an essay crisis, with the most common being cocaine and ritalin. Which surprised me, I'd have thought speed would be far better for an essay crisis (usually 3-8 hours in length) than coke.

I haven't tried it, I tended to find expensive dark chocolate and coffee to work fine for me, though I do wonder if my work would have been different. I don't have any essays next year though, as both my courses are maths-based, and drugs tend to not help you learn it, just complete it.
    Smile
    For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
    But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Indeed, and since I gave up pot and alcohol, I've found it a lot easier to write creatively.
      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
      "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Pot and alcohol aren't exactly performance enhancing substances

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy
          Indeed, and since I gave up pot and alcohol, I've found it a lot easier to write creatively.
          having read your posts here, i think you should get straight back on the beer and gear.
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

having read your posts here, i think you should get straight back on the beer and gear.
            Why would I want to pay to end up like you?
            "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
            "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

I generally can't afford the hangovers, myself. You need too much consecutive free time to be able to go on a drug/alcohol binge.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
                Richard Feynman worked while stoned IIRC.
                while he was younger, but I think he stopped later on IIRC

Comment

I doubt that he did any serious work stoned. IIRC, he just enjoyed the hallucinigenic aspects of the experience.

Pot is good for enjoying aesthetic beauty (including mathematical models if you're not too high). It's good for creating strange mental associations. It's good for relaxing. But one thing it is not good for is quantizing the electromagnetic field. It may be able to make you a little more creative, but it's definitely going to make you dumber.
                  "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                  -Bokonon

Comment

When I get stoned, its basically like taking a strong sedative. Never saw Lucy in the Sky in diamonds or anything like that. I get really sleepy. Sucks, really
                    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Working...
                    X