Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aaaah le pour french

Greece 73, France 56

SAITAMA, Japan (AP) -Greece has been the forgotten of the unbeaten teams at the FIBA world championships.

Now it's in the semifinals with another strong defensive effort and more balanced offense.

Greece held France to its lowest point total of the tournament in a 73-56 victory Wednesday that moved it into the semifinals for the third time in the last four world championships.

Greece (7-0) advanced to the final four and will play the United States on Friday.

Entering the quarterfinals, Spain, Argentina and the United States were the undefeated teams garnering almost all of the attention. Like them, Greece didn't lose any of its first six games, and its seventh win may have been its most impressive.

"This game showed our team can control the games and play the way we need to play to win games,'' Greece coach Panagiotis Yannakis said. "Basketball is not only dribbling and shooting. It is about defense. My team can put ego out of the team.''

Antonis Fotsis had 14 points, including two big jumpers midway through the second half. Greece, which finished fourth in 1994 and 1998 and didn't qualify in 2002, has been one of the better defensive teams in the tournament.

France (4-3), which came in averaging 70 points per game, struggled from the start against Greece, managing only 24 points in trailing by 10 at halftime.

"We were careless at the beginning of the game but we were not by ourselves,'' France coach Claude Bergeaud said. "With their pressure they found easy shots. I was surprised to see my team, which plays so easy, play with that pressure.''

Boris Diaw, who plays for the Phoenix Suns, was 3-for-8 for the field and had nine points in 36 minutes for France. He was covered for the most part by Theodoros Papaloukas when Greece was in a man-to-man defense, but none of the French players were able to generate any kind of offense.

France, which had 64 points in an 11-point win over Nigeria in the opening round, finished 21-for-60 from the field (35 percent) and had 19 turnovers.

"We knew if we play hard defense and good defense, the French team, I don't think they could stay in the game more than 30, 35 minutes,'' Papaloukas said. "I think we wanted more to get to the semifinals and I think we deserved it.''

Greece was awarded the ball out of bounds with .9 seconds left in the third quarter, holding a 51-43 lead. Yannakis called a timeout and on the inbounds play, Fotsis hit a jumper from the right side as the buzzer sounded.

Fotsis hit a 3-pointer from the same side only a little deeper to open the fourth quarter and Greece was never threatened the rest of the way.

Lazaros Papadopoulos had 14 points for Greece, which beat France in the semifinals of last year's European championships on a 3-pointer by Dimitris Diamantidis in the final seconds. Diamantidis was 3-for-5 on 3s Wednesday and had 13 points and eight rebounds.

"We've been playing with confidence and we know for us the key is defense and as players we know we must start the game way,'' Diamantidis said. "We put our rhythm on the game from the beginning. We forced them to make turnovers and then we made shots and it was an easy game.''

Mickael Gelabale had 12 points for France, which last reached the semifinals in 1954.

France's run to the quarterfinals was unexpected following the loss of star guard Tony Parker just days before the tournament. Parker, who plays for the San Antonio Spurs, broke a finger in the team's final exhibition game.

Bergeaud was asked if the outcome would have been different with Parker available.

"It is impossible to know,'' he said. "When Tony Parker got hurt we knew we had to build without him. Last year we played Greece with Tony Parker and it was no solution. Perhaps it is possible to change something such as control of the ball with him, but Greece is so strong not one player could change that.''

next stop: United States
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Do we really need a gloating thread every time Greece wins something?

I've notified your spam to Ming
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Don't worry, that'll be the last thread he posts about this subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
        Do we really need a gloating thread every time Greece wins something?
        if it involves the french you can be sure about that

i think the last time the french beat us in an official basketball game was 20 years ago

Comment

Hopefully, the US v. Greece game is a good one.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
            Don't worry, that'll be the last thread he posts about this subject.
            no, we'll also win the second final (or whatever the game for 3rd place is called)

btw when did you become greek?

Comment

USA! USA!

Beware the Anthony
              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                Hopefully, the US v. Greece game is a good one.
                it should be fun, the best offence against the best defence

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean

The US does not have the best offense, I think Argentina does. As for the best defense, I think Spain may have that.
                  “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Is the USA playing with the real good players this time?
                    I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                      btw when did you become greek?
                      I'll be in Rhodos for two very lazy weeks from tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                        I've notified your spam to Ming
                        And I simply ignored it after looking at the thread starter

USA

USA

USA
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Arbitrary mod policies at work

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph

I'll be in Rhodos for two very lazy weeks from tomorrow.

Comment

Forget about the Dream Team.

Here comes the Greek Team!

Being in the final 4 is a big success. What will happen in the semifinal doesn't matter. A medal would be nice. It would prove that modern basketball doesn't just need good players, it primarily needs solid tactics.

But still,...

[chant]
                              Hey, Yank!
                              Watch your back!
                              Watch for "baby Shaq"!

Hey, Yanks!
                              Watch your backs!
                              "Big Sofo" attacks!
                              [/chant]
                              "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
                              George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                              X