X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon Miller
    And they aren't really logically distinct
    JM
    Yeah, like I said, it's not the best of analogies.

But you get the idea... I can describe some things in terms of quantum theory. I can describe other things in terms of relativity. But I can't descibe quantum theory in terms of relativity.

I'm sure that's a large part of the attraction with string theory. The desire for a single, unified narrative.

And that's what I find valuable about PoMo.

It's not about giving priority to one system or the other. It's not about denying objective reality. For me, it's about looking at those weird, super-fast, super-small cases where no-one really knows what's going on and all your best calculations come out with outrageous, physically-impossible results that just don't make sense.

I like it that way. Neat, easy solutions are the opiate of the dialectic materialist.
    I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by Terra Nullius
      PoMo stands in opposition to modernist metanarrative.
      There's no such thing.

Comment

Fair enough.

Please explain
        I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

Empiricist BS:

Oh, and General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics don't mix because they are APROXIMATIONS of reality. Superstring theory (if it is correct) gives us a better aproximation of reality by unifying GR and QM.

Comment

Originally posted by Terra Nullius
            How can two, logically distinct systems both describe the same world?
            They can't, not perfectly. If two systems produce the same answers, they are logically equivalent.

Comment

Working...
            X