Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-Katrina New Orleans and a missed opportunity

Larry Kudlow, from National Review Online

The Wall Street Journal editorial, “The Tragedy of New Orleans,” quite rightly points out that President Bush and the Republican Congress have spent the utterly mind-blowing sum of $122.5 billion on Hurricane Katrina money largely designated for New Orleans.
    One can only imagine the almost incomprehensive number of better purposes for spending this astonishing sum of money. And, still, leading Democratic politicians want to spend even more taxpayer dough as many New Orleans neighborhoods remain underwater (to coin a metaphorical phrase).

A much better approach would have been to employ the capitalist laws of the market economy and simply make New Orleans a tax-free zone. Though some tax abatements have been employed in enabling congressional legislation, neither the White House, nor Congress, ever went full bore on the supply-side to attract private capital investment and business to New Orleans.

Think of New Orleans as an emerging economy in the Third World, desperately seeking private investment flows, and perhaps the picture becomes clearer. Capital to finance human ingenuity, entrepreneurship, and the love of New Orleans that many have, would be a much more efficient, timely and simpler solution than the gargantuan, bureaucratic spending plan which was doomed to failure from the very start.

Let’s say for example, a zero capital gains tax. Or, perhaps, any new businesses started up in New Orleans would be tax-free for 5-10 years. This would include cash expensing for the building or rebuilding of any plant, home, office building or mall. Eliminating the tax costs of rebuilding New Orleans, coupled with high incentive rewards, after tax, would do the trick a lot quicker than this horrible central planning experiment.

Frankly, this is a case where neither the Bush Administration, nor the GOP leadership in Congress, gave New Orleans (or the United States for that matter), any economic vision at all. It is a shame.
    I think this is a sound statement, and one that should be considered for future post-catastrophe sites (I live in California and am moving to the East Bay, so I'm expecting an earthquake any day now.) Then again, I like capitalism a lot. Any arguments as to why this would have been a bad thing to do?

Anything the NRO proposes is probably a very bad idea. A lot of people, regardless of taxes, simply don't have the means to begin repairing their homes. They didn't have insurance or the right type of insurance, for whatever reason. Cancun was hit by a Cat 4 hurricane which sat on them for 3 days. It's in better shape today than Ft. Lauderdale which was hit by the same, much weakened storm, several days later. The difference is that in Cancun, the Mexican government got involved and spent. Here, it's all up to us.

When Mexico does a better job than the U.S., something is seriously wrong.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Did Mexico have that much of a choice but to scramble around and spend money to get Cancun going at full speed again. Not to show disrespect to the fine citizens of Ft. Lauderdale but they aren't as important as Cancun is to Mexico.
      Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

True enough, but what about New Orleans to America?
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

New Orleans should not be rebuilt. Especially not the areas that got flooded (obviously the french quarter/bourbon street can stay)

Comment

When your city is destroyed by earthquake, I'll remember that.

Comment

Re: Post-Katrina New Orleans and a missed opportunity

Originally posted by ajbera
              Any arguments as to why this would have been a bad thing to do?
              I don't really like the idea too much. A lot of the federal spending will be on rebuilding infrastructure, which in this context has little to do with attracting investment. Furthermore, maybe these areas shouldn't be rebuilt. Giving further tax abatements would just distort the decision dictated by the market.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                When your city is destroyed by earthquake, I'll remember that.
                impossible. There are no natural disasters that could fall upon my city.

And my city is not below sea level. Not to mention politicians/planners purposely took out Louisiana wetlands that help buffer New Orleans. They have no one to blame but themselves.

You live in Florida, this couldn't happen in Florida. Most of it is just wind damage. That can be rebuilt.

Comment

I always wondered why you americans build most of your houses using wood knowing that there will be hurricanes and/or tornados around every year. Use brick and concrete for god sake.
                  Ich bin der Zorn Gottes. Wer sonst ist mit mir?

Comment

Katrina was a failure of government at every level, and it cost over 1000 lives. It looks to me like we are seeing a repeat of that failure, and have the pleasure of blowing enormous sums of money to make it happen.
                    He's got the Midas touch.
                    But he touched it too much!
                    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Thorgal
                      I always wondered why you americans build most of your houses using wood knowing that there will be hurricanes and/or tornados around every year. Use brick and concrete for god sake.
                      1. Building that way is much more expensive than wood.
                      2. Catastrophic hurricanes happen excedingly rarely in most areas of the Gulf Coast.
                      3. Tornadoes happen very often in some areas, but the impact zones are not large.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                      X