US versus European Cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US versus European Cities

There's a short, superficial article on BBC comparing US and continental European cities, which ends up being basically a list of what people like about European cities and hate about US cities. There are of course tons of bad aspects of US cities and many good aspects of European cities (at least the handful that I have seen -- Munich, Rome, Prague, Vienna, Antwerp, Paris, etc.).

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

I'm looking for your opinions about things you don't like about European cities and things you like about US cities. I'm especially interested in hearing the opinion of people who don't live in the headline cities of the US and Europe. For instance, we all know Paris has a great metrorail to many areas, but what about in the Parisian suburbs and other French cities? Is it easy to get around? Lots of amenities? Lots of things to do? Cheap? Good economy and lots of jobs? Good universities? Friendly people? Convenient store hours? Good public schools and libraries?
    Last edited by DanS; August 29, 2006, 15:07.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

That article was very one sided and full of generalizations but it was an editorial so that is to be expected. City services such as parks, light rail, large libraries, and other public places cost a lot of money first to build and then to maintain. Having less of these does mean a lower tax burden and that does encourage more economic growth and thus job creation.

Luckily, there is a happy middle ground which many cities have found. Places like Boston, Chicago, Toronto, and San Diego have found them by concentrating on a strong urban core while allowing for natural growth at the edges. This results in things like light rail & subways being built in the densely populated areas which can support them but with increasingly less access as the population density declines in the suburbs. You want to have both becaue city living is expensive and often young families can't afford it. Thus having less expensive housing available further out allows them to stay in the area without having to spend $2000 per month for an apartment downtown.

That said I would like to see more planning put into this. A nextwork of urban centeers connected by light rail along densely populated corridors which get progressively less dense the further away from the train lines is a good idea. LA is currently trying to convert to this format though it will take them a good 20-40 years to complete it.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I can't believe some guy left a comment that more cities in the UK should be like Sheffield. Doesn't Sheffield have a reputation for being a pit?

Comment

For one thing, Paris has too many French people.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
          I can't believe some guy left a comment that more cities in the UK should be like Sheffield. Doesn't Sheffield have a reputation for being a pit?
          No, it has a much worse reputation than that.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

What I hate most about US cities is that the nightlife revolves around bars rather than clubs

And the few clubs that exist play mostly hip-hop music rather than house

Ironic, since house music was born in Chicago and Detroit

Granted, I've never been clubbing in Miami nor LA
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

what's the difference between hip-hop and house music? They all sound the same to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                what's the difference between hip-hop and house music? They all sound the same to me.
                That's worse than saying house and techno sound the same
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Come on to Dallas, Shiva. Par-ty!
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                    Come on to Dallas, Shiva. Par-ty!
                    I don't like line dancing

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                      For one thing, Paris has too many French people.
                      I think London is actually one of the biggest cities in the world in terms of the French population living there. It seems many young French people can't get jobs in their homeland so they head to England to get employment and experience.

Comment

Let me put you on this ever-growing ****list I'm keeping.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                          What I hate most about US cities is that the nightlife revolves around bars rather than clubs

And the few clubs that exist play mostly hip-hop music rather than house

Ironic, since house music was born in Chicago and Detroit

Granted, I've never been clubbing in Miami nor LA
                          You live in the wrong city my friend. In SoCal we have our bars but most of the actual night life takes place in night clubs, coffee houses, smoke shops, lounges, and caberets. It's a good scene.

There are hip hop places but mostly it is not hip hop. Electronica is in as is various other music styles. There is room for everything.

Comment

You live in the wrong city my friend. In SoCal we have our bars but most of the actual night life takes place in night clubs, coffee houses, smoke shops, lounges, and caberets. It's a good scene.

There are hip hop places but mostly it is not hip hop. Electronica is in as is various other music styles. There is room for everything.
                            Sounds good. On the east coast, bars, either full of frat boys and popped collars and 80s music, or full of hippies and hipsters and indie music, outnumber clubs and lounges 10:1. I hate that

In Europe, they have pubs and bars and stuff too, but more for the early evening, before going to a club later.

Comment

That article was very one sided and full of generalizations but it was an editorial so that is to be expected. City services such as parks, light rail, large libraries, and other public places cost a lot of money first to build and then to maintain. Having less of these does mean a lower tax burden and that does encourage more economic growth and thus job creation.
                              Libraries, parks and light rail help boost the economy.

Comment

Working...
                              X