My video card died :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My video card died :(

I'm pissed off, though it may be my own fault. My power supply was slightly below the required minimum for the video card. Or maybe it was the heat that did it. I was into my second game of civ4: warlords. I was so engrossed in the game, I didn't notice I didn't turn the air up when I got home. I didn't realize how hot it was in my room. So maybe the heat did it.

Still seems strange though. It lasted 4 and 1/2 months. At first I thought it was a bug with warlords. But after restarting the screen only stayed lit for about 1 minute. And then after another restart, the monitor never got a signal. .

So I'm basically typing this post blind. Luckily for me I remember where all the icons and I have Apolyton page layouts memorized. . Okay actually I broke out my old Radeon 9600 XT card. Still plays civ4 (I had it when I originally got civ), but it won't play the game I bought my new card for. Oblivion. Which is okay, as I grew bored of that game after a few days anyways. Makes you rethink the idea of buying a video card for a game. But the old card does have some impact on Civ4 performance. Even though I am still running with the upgraded RAM (I also bought at the time I got Oblivion). I think Video Card RAM plays a great deal in Civ4 performance. I used to have 256 gig of video card RAM.

Computers annoy me. If only consoles had games like civ4, I'd stop using computers for video games. Yeah they do have some PC games, but usually dumbed down versions.

Is there any hope for this card? Probably not. It wasn't that hot when I touched it. I don't know what happenned.

It's toast. You ruined it. Great. Way to go. You jackass, you.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Dis, looks like it is still under warranty. Just take it back to the vendor, or call the number on the warranty card.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Try cutting your thumb off.
        Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Re: My video card died

Originally posted by Dis
          I'm pissed off, though it may be my own fault. My power supply was slightly below the required minimum for the video card. Or maybe it was the heat that did it.
          Just a question, but where do you think the excess heat came from?

Doh!
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
            Dis, looks like it is still under warranty. Just take it back to the vendor, or call the number on the warranty card.
            Um, if your vendor is willing to take back user-damaged video cards, I want to know who he is so I can buy from him (or her, though women usually aren't that dumb) ... next thing you know UR you're going to be suggesting we take back CPUs that overheat
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Why not? It happens all the time.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

When's the funeral, Dis? Will there be visitation?

Gatekeeper
                "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Re: My video card died

Originally posted by Dis
                  I used to have 256 gig of video card RAM.
                  Sounds to me like you should have just kept things as they were.

But yeah, video card trouble is not a thing to wish upon anybody. My current computer troubles all started when my video card first checked out about a month ago.

Glad to hear you've got things working again though.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                    Um, if your vendor is willing to take back user-damaged video cards, I want to know who he is so I can buy from him (or her, though women usually aren't that dumb) ... next thing you know UR you're going to be suggesting we take back CPUs that overheat
                    Dude, do you know what a warranty is? If the user uses the item normally and it dies, the vendor needs to replace it or fix it.

Man, I thought the consumers in your country got rights.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Dude, do you know what a warranty is? If the user uses the item normally and it dies, the vendor needs to replace it or fix it.

Man, I thought the consumers in your country got rights.
                      I don't think "normally" includes using a power supply not suited for it.
                      Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Next time get an adequate power supply. You wouldn't put a 4-cylinder engine in a Ferrari, would you?
                        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                        Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                        One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Why would an underpowered PS cause heat in a vid card? If we dont know the load on the PS how is it we know it was underpowered anyway?
                          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Perhaps fans didn't get enough juice?
                            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Re: Re: My video card died

Originally posted by notyoueither

Just a question, but where do you think the excess heat came from?

Doh!
                              the heat came because I live in the desert.

I felt the card, and it wasn't warm at all.

I did it right after turning it off. it's real easy because I keep the side of my computer open because my power switch doesn't work.

Comment

Working...
                              X