Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is complete arse.

I signed up due to this thread and it is:

1. Boredom central - even in busy sectors it is deserted. Hell, I was even made commander of the mission when all I had done was get shot dead whilst grappling with point 3.
    2. Stone age graphics.
    3. No reverse mouse - hence near on unplayable.

Only people seeming to have fun are the fly-boys...

Comment

Yeah, that is what I was afraid of. Still a decent concept.

1. Doesn't have the player base.
      2. Doesn't have the support.

Jon Miller
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I'm not going to play the part of WW2OL fanboi, but...

1. Boredom central - even in busy sectors it is deserted. Hell, I was even made commander of the mission when all I had done was get shot dead whilst grappling with point 3.
        Agree, sort of. I must admit that I had lots of fun, sitting around in a city, in some defensive position, chatting with the others, witing for an impending assault. Or conversely, gathering outside a city, waiting for the call to attack. Anticipation of action is sometimes fun too. Paratrooping is a blast too.

But... I would agree that the world needs to be shrunk, to better accomodate the small playerbase.

2. Stone age graphics.
        The game looks very 'five-years-ago'. But, in exchange, you can literally see for miles. The buildings, plants and trees may not look like much, but they do what they need to do, very well (provide cover, camoflauge). Also, in vehicles, every gague, lever, whathaveyou, works, is functional, and almost nothing is for show. The flip-side is that it's infuriatingly difficult to operate a tank with fewer than three people, who are hard to come by.

If you are into WW2 simulators, and have friends who are too, it's hard to beat. If you are looking for action though, BF1942 and the like are much better.

3. No reverse mouse - hence near on unplayable.
        I don't know what that means. I do know that WW2OL is one of the few games where you can disengage the 'look' from the direction the body moves, in first person.

But no U-boats! What kind of WW2 sim doesn't have U-boats?

Comment

Sure it's old, but still fun to read through.

What do you think the [AoE] after Hitler's name alludes to? Axis of Evil..?

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
            Sure it's old, but still fun to read through.

What does the [AoE] after Hitler's name allude to? Axis of Evil..?
            Axis of Evil
            "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
            "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by germanos

Axis of Evil
              It is supposed to be satire, you know, hm?

Comment

Age of Empires
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Is there any basis, however faint, for the connection to Age of Empires? I'm not familiar with the game..

Comment

I took it as a clan tag...?

Comment

*tru_m4n has joined the game.*
                      tru_m4n: hi all
                      T0J0: hey
                      Stalin: sup
                      Churchill: hi
                      tru_m4n: OMG OMG OMG i got all his stuff!
                      tru_m4n: NUKES! HOLY **** I GOT NUKES
                      Stalin: d00d gimmie some plz
                      tru_m4n: no way i only got like a couple
                      Stalin: omg dont be gay gimmie nuculer secrets
                      T0J0: wtf is nukes?
                      T0J0: holy ****holy****hoyl****!
                      *T0J0 has been eliminated.*

Comment

Agree, sort of. I must admit that I had lots of fun, sitting around in a city, in some defensive position, chatting with the others, witing for an impending assault. Or conversely, gathering outside a city, waiting for the call to attack. Anticipation of action is sometimes fun too

It was a similar feeling that made me fall in love with the bf1942 demo. a virtually empty server, with me and 2 dutch guys hunkered down in a bunker knowing the enemy player was sat at the other side of the bridge in a tank. had we rushed the guy and respawned as bazookas it would have been meaningless.
                        Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

I see there's a free 2 week trial going on until Jan 01.

Comment

Thanks for the tip DrS I will look into this for sure

Another game I remember enjoying standing around was the sony online entertainment game infantry. I remember many hours being spent stood around at some victory point, knowing i would have to defend it and survive against whatever turned up, at least for long enough for reinforcements to teleport in. of course this game is very dated now if it still exists

Comment

I played infantry... lots of fun until it went p2p and the playerbase disappeared.

Trench forever!

Comment

Trench was good fun, I especially like the extreme varient where the bullets were superfast and invisible. I played a lot before p2p , but I even payed for a couple of months a while after it had ben p2p

I played kliests ridge with the vehicles mostly. I love multiplayer games with several people operating a vehicle together, it requires a whole different level of tactics and understanding

Comment

Working...
                                X