Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CanPol: New Leader for the Greens

Elizabeth May Wins Green Leadership

Well, superactivist Elizabeth May is now heading the fledgling-but-growing Green Party of Canada. I'm far from an expert on the issue, but I'd venture to say that this will be better short-term than it will be long-term.

The second-place candidate, Dave Chernushenko, is more in the mould of a eco-businessman, even moreso than the outgoing Jim Harris. I think that May will give the party street cred on the left for now, but in the long run, Chernushenko would have done a better job establishing the Greens as a force. With May, the Greens will probably make some more inroads on NDP and Lefty Liberal ground, but they'll just be handing the Cons election after election. I can see their support peetering out well below that of the NDP.

If they had gone with Chernushenko's "look yuppie, legislate hippie" approach, I think they could have worked their way into the economic corridors of the country. Making ecological platforms feasible & friendly to business would be a good way to cut into Conservative support, as well as that of the other parties.

The special thing about Canada's Green Party was that they incorporated the obvious 'green-types,' but also reached out to groups that were traditionally unresponsive to environmental concerns. I think that electing May will take the party down a path toward near-identity with the NDP, which, while not in and of itself a 'bad thing,' is certainly a poor political strategy.
    "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
    "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
    "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Re: CanPol: New Leader for the Greens

Originally posted by cinch
    "look yuppie, legislate hippie"

Originally said by Jim Harris
    The Green party supports Kyoto... We were opposed to the war in Iraq and yet at the same time we're fiscally responsible.
    Smile
    For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
    But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Working...
    X