Every Stem Cell's Sacred?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Combat Ingrid

I partly agree with you, I think it's better to add life to your years instead of adding years to your life. However, if it was up to me, I would get both
    Isn't that more down the road of keeping people alive mechanically in an intensive care unit ?

Transplanting of organs is nothing near such - a new kidney, heart, liver etc isn't only about prolonging life but certainly also about improving of life quality. There is a heck of a difference between going to dialysis on regular basis due to a malfunctioning kidney and taking pills after a transplantation.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Research on stem cells is great, but using embryonic stem cells is a show-stopper for me. I dislike much of the political dialog revolving around this, because the other side seeks to run roughshod over this clear distinction (it's dishonest debate).

This method is being taken seriously by the ethicists, and we'll have to wait to see what opinions they have formed. I understand that the RC church is taking a serious look at it.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
        I don't mind that you choose to not use such treatments if you don't like them, but that should not affect other peoples wish to do such.
        Which I haven't implied that it should, so I don't see why you bring that up.

I'm deeply touched by your having no objections to the way I would personally choose to seek treament, though.

What exactly are your reasons to think these treatments are unethical ?

Hmm, it doesn't quite work that way when you're talking about ethical reservations. You might as well ask, what are my reasons for considering it unethical to commit fraud? No, the difference is not whether there is any harm done or not. That would be a reason to feel sorry for the people who had the fraud committed against them. The reason I personally consider fraud to be unethical, and something I would never do? I don't know. It would go against my instincts. Which doesn't really cut the matter of why?

Even if there were a guarantee I wouldn't get found out, even if I were 100% sure that the people I did it against would never even notice. If I were in a position to fraud 1 million people out of 10 Cents each, "by accident", I couldn't. No reason for it that I could put forward, other than it would go against my instincts.

And the same with the transplants. Now I'm not saying people who favour organ transplants are to be likened to frauds, not at all. I'm just trying to give a parallel example of how personal ethics influence our way of looking at things, in a way that is not easily explained to others.

People will divide themselves along the lines of their personal ethical beliefs (provided they're even aware that there is cause to have ethical considerations in the matter. I get the feeling that for a lot of people, ethics don't even enter into the organ transplant example). With fraud, I would think that the vast majority of people would find it unethical. I could be wrong though. With organ transplants, some will find it ok, others won't. Either way, you can't convince people of something if it goes against their personal ethics.

Comment

Gotta admit. I still find organ transplants kinda creepy.

I don't think I could, in good conscience refuse the harvesting of my own organs, but I know it's a choice I'd prefer not to make.
          I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
            What if you were both in a boat lost at sea and starving?
            For argument's sake, can I have a loaded gun with me?

Comment

I really don't get the fraud comparison. You have to either volonteer to be an organ donor or have permission from relatives. Even if you are a volunteer, relatives can say no.

Ok, certain countries have practices that works otherwise, but I don't consider that a part of this discussion.
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Isn't that more down the road of keeping people alive mechanically in an intensive care unit ?

Transplanting of organs is nothing near such - a new kidney, heart, liver etc isn't only about prolonging life but certainly also about improving of life quality. There is a heck of a difference between going to dialysis on regular basis due to a malfunctioning kidney and taking pills after a transplantation.
                I'm not sure what your point is. Anything that improves your quality of life is good in my book. If it also prolongs your life then it's great. On the other hand, actions that just keeps you alive longer, but in a miserable state, are pretty worthless IMO.
                The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

I really don't get the fraud comparison. You have to either volonteer to be an organ donor or have permission from relatives. Even if you are a volunteer, relatives can say no.
                  So? Most frauds tend to volunteer too.

Anyway, as I said, it wasn't a direct comparison. It was meant as a parallel example of how individual ethics govern our personal choices for no apparent rational reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Terra Nullius
                    Gotta admit. I still find organ transplants kinda creepy.

I don't think I could, in good conscience refuse the harvesting of my own organs, but I know it's a choice I'd prefer not to make.
                    You are just a normal human being that doesn't like to think about your own mortality.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                      What if you were both in a boat lost at sea and starving?

The corpses of human embryos and fetuses, whether they have been deliberately aborted or not, must be respected just as the remains of other human beings. ... Also, in the case of dead fetuses, as for the corpses of adult persons, all commercial trafficking must be considered illicit and should be prohibited.

Doesn't really answer the question, I know.

I would guess that the RCC would consider post-mortem cannibalism to be licit where it was necessary in the interests of survival, but I'm not certain.

If that were the case, then it should also be licit to use material from dead embryos to treat a life-threatening illness, which would kinda conflict with the above reference.

But then, none of that is actually a likely scenario - ie, proven therapeutic value in the re-use of embryo corpses.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston

So? Most frauds tend to volunteer too.
                        I really can't follow your thoughts - are you saying that victims of fraud are volounteering in getting swindled and actually knowing that they are ?

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                          I don't see anything wrong with using material from something that is going to die anyways
                          Interesting

So let's say, for argument's sake, there is a known chance of diminishing the viability of an embryo through using this technique (through epigenetic or other mechanisms). Would you still be OK with performing the procedure?

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                            Research on stem cells is great, but using embryonic stem cells is a show-stopper for me. I dislike much of the political dialog revolving around this, because the other side seeks to run roughshod over this clear distinction (it's dishonest debate).
                            I don't understand what the freakin' problem is. Should real people die of diseases that might be curable because a blob of cells that has no chance of ever becoming a human being has some intangible quality according to a bunch of people's invisible friend?
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

You are just a normal human being.

So you mean I don't really agree with Winston??

Comment

Originally posted by Terra Nullius
                                Would you still be OK with performing the procedure?
                                It's not something you'd do to an embryo in the womb, but a frozen embryo which is just going to be destroyed eventually has no chance at viability anyway.
                                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                                X