New Theory of Black Holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
    I loved physics, but hated math. There was only so far that romance was going to go.
    Physics is math.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Physics is math.
      You can understand physics even if the maths escapes your conscious mind. Look at catching a ball. Your brain does a mathematical calculation of trajectory, but you don't think of it in those terms (unless you are some kind of freak).
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by DrS

I haven't seen any evidence to support that. What makes you guess that?
        Here are a few more leads:
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

No

Physics is Applied Math
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
            You can understand physics even if the maths escapes your conscious mind
            Actually, you really can't, unless the Physics is of the middle school variety.
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Interesting distinction. I think the ability to understand is more based on the ability to apply to more everyday experience phenomena. Being able to predict something based on maths is not the same as understanding it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                Interesting distinction. I think the ability to understand is more based on the ability to apply to more everyday experience phenomena. Being able to predict something based on maths is not the same as understanding it.
                I think the extent to which one can understand "elementary" physics innately "without math" is pretty much the same as the amount of "elementary" math that one can understand innately.
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

From personal experience, I found that I understood the maths better if I could conceptualise the physical reality, not the other way around. I actually understand the Black-Scholes equation for derivatives better because I can relate it to the heat equation, which in turn is a concept that can be easily understood (if not so mathematically). Maybe I am just odd in that respect though.

Comment

Okay, I sort of briefly recall plasma cosmology. It's similar to steady-state, but without the need to 'create' more matter.

If I remember correctly, it's kind of interesting, and probably not altogether wrong. I'm kind of skeptical that the influences can be felt on large scales. Maybe slight perturbations of star clusters, but I doubt extra-galactic dynamics.

I think it needs to make a few successful predictions. Like steady-state, it seems to make collections of post-dictions which, while interesting, are not so useful.

I think it's an interesting field which deserves further study, but it shares nowhere near the complexity or predictive power of big bang cosmology.

And just because a theory (in this case plasma cosmology) may be wrong, doesn't mean its useless. Fred Hoyle (steady-state) has the distinction of being the 'most often wrong' astronomer in history. Still, he probably advanced the big-bang theory more than any other single person, by trying to poke holes in it.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrS
                      Okay, I sort of briefly recall plasma cosmology. It's similar to steady-state, but without the need to 'create' more matter.

If I remember correctly, it's kind of interesting, and probably not altogether wrong. I'm kind of skeptical that the influences can be felt on large scales. Maybe slight perturbations of star clusters, but I doubt extra-galactic dynamics.

I think it needs to make a few successful predictions. Like steady-state, it seems to make collections of post-dictions which, while interesting, are not so useful.

I think it's an interesting field which deserves further study, but it shares nowhere near the complexity or predictive power of big bang cosmology.

And just because a theory (in this case plasma cosmology) may be wrong, doesn't mean its useless. Fred Hoyle (steady-state) has the distinction of being the 'most often wrong' astronomer in history. Still, he probably advanced the big-bang theory more than any other single person, by trying to poke holes in it.
                      Plasma cosmology predicts the existance of spiral galaxies without the requirement of dark matter or dark energy. Plasma cosmology predicts the structure of galactic clusters without the requirement of dark metter or dark energy. There are others. Naturally, I am biased. My thesis was in plasma physics (although my major was in aeronautics and astronautics).

Comment

• Well, not really. It post-dicts them. We knew of spiral galaxies well before hand.

Comment

• OK

It post dicts them far better than a gravity only model. So why the insistence on gravity only that requires lots of dark matter and dark energy that has to be distributed just so?

Comment

• Kuci
                            He was suggesting that the black holes are all at the center. That wouldn't fix anything.
                            No I wasn't, I was making 2 suggestions - that a cluster of black holes are at the center of the milky way, and that black holes might account for the "missing" mass.

Comment

• It post dicts them far better than a gravity only model.
                              I think you'd be really hard pressed to prove that.

So why the insistence on gravity only that requires lots of dark matter and dark energy that has to be distributed just so?
                              Simply put, because of the wealth of supporting evidence. Lots of things can cause a spiral structure. The physics of hurricanes is very different than that of galaxies, yet to the casual observer they appear to have lots in common.

I think you would find it difficult to show that gravity dynamics wouldn't result in a spiral structure. I honestly don't see how a perturbed elliptical galaxy wouldn't become a spiral, just via gravity alone.

As for dark-stuff, last I heard, the galactic halo objects were considered sufficiently massive/numerous to hold galaxies together. On the extra-galactic scale, neutrino-oscillation pretty much demands a non-zero mass. Regardless of what happens in plasma cosmology, that's not going away.

Plasma cosmology needs to make a startling, successful prediction. It's undeveloped and kind of far-fetched. Doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong, just that it needs to start making useful, successful predictions before it gets taken more seriously.

Comment

• Correct me please

In a spiral galaxy, we have stable arms.
                                This means that stars near the center spin around with the same angular velocity as stars near the edge.
                                How is this possible with gravity only?

Comment

Working...
                                X