B92 : Kosovo Albanians make armed raid into Serbia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B92 : Kosovo Albanians make armed raid into Serbia

Summary : B92 claims armed Kosovo Albanians penetrated 3km into Serbia and attacked a Serbian village. No casualties this time, but it is claimed that the village has recieved 'several dozens' of such attacks over the last few years.

ARMED KOSOVO ALBANIANS REPORTEDLY ENTER SERBIA, FIRE SHOTS AT FORMER SERB MAYOR
    BBC Monitoring International Reports - August 12, 2006, Saturday

Text of report by Belgrade-based Radio B92 on 12 August

[Announcer] A group of armed [ethnic] Albanians carried out an armed attack on the territory of Kursumlija municipality's village of Tacevac on the administrative border between Serbia and Kosovo just as former Podujevo Mayor Milovan Tomcic was out in his field with his family. Ljiljana Danilovic reports from Kursumlija.

[Reporter] According to the testimony of former Podujevo Mayor Milovan Tomcic, who was with his family in the field close to the administrative border between Serbia and Kosovo, a large group of armed Albanians penetrated around three kilometres into the territory of Kursumlija municipality in Tacevac village and carried out an armed attack.

Tomcic said that there was a barrage of fire from automatic weapons which lasted for about ten minutes.

[Tomcic] I was barely 20 paces from the road when the shots were fired. Bullets started whistling above our heads. This was a real barrage of separate shots fired from several pieces of weapons and from a number of locations. At least five or six types of weapons were fired, but I managed to take cover.

[Tomcic's wife] When the barrage started getting fiercer, I told our daughter to get to the ground and start crawling. We managed to get close to a fence and then we climbed over it and got away.

[Reporter] The police went to the scene after the incident but an investigation was not carried out for security reasons. A spokeswoman for the police in Prokuplje, Jasmina Stamenkovic, confirmed that a group of armed Albanians had carried out an attack in the territory of Tacevac village.

[Stamenkovic] Members of Kfor [NATO-led Kosovo Force] were informed about the incident via our team for cooperation with Kfor so that they could undertake measures envisaged by the law.

[Reporter] Nobody was injured in this armed attack. We should say several dozens of armed attacks by Kosovo Albanians had been carried out in Kursumlija's Tacevac village over the past few years in which one local inhabitant was killed and several houses were torched.

Source: Radio B92, Belgrade, in Serbian 1500 gmt 12 Aug 06

Clearly, we should bomb Serbia.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

14th Century Serb Church plundered & desecrated

other recent news from Kosovo :

Belgrade, 6 August: Unknown perpetrators have broken into, plundered and desecrated the Church of the Holy Mother of God (Presveta Bogorodica) in the Serb village of Babin Most near Obilic, the Rasko-Prizren Eparchy has said.

The thieves broke in last night at around midnight [2200 gmt] after smashing the bars and the windows on the rear side of the church where the priest's home is also situated.

The St Stefan fresco was taken from the church along with 50,000 dinars in donations, the priests' habits and ritual objects, while some ten frescoes and icons were destroyed and found smashed on the floor.

The Kosovo Police Service [KSP] carried out on-the-spot checks and began their investigation, although no details have been made public.

The Church of the Holy Mother of God was built in the 14th century and is one of the oldest Serb churches in central Kosovo-Metohija.

Source: FoNet news agency, Belgrade, in Serbian 1457 gmt 6 Aug 06

Comment

It is probably in the Presivo Valley which is a majority Albanian area. Radicals in the UCK (KLA) have wanted to extend the Kosovo border to cover the Presivo Valley was well as move the border with Macadonia south to take in ethnic Albanian areas there. The US and NATO are against the moving of borders and were active in arresting Albanian radicals when they could find them.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

OK, there is going to be an independence vote coming up with in the next year. It seems that has whipped the nationalists in to a frenzy.

Comment

Whatever we do, we should bomb serbia

Comment

Clearly Serbia should act with restraint.

what group executed the attack?

Do the authorities in Kosovo, such as they are, include members of the group? Are their Kosovar troops in place near the border to stop such attacks?

Is the group that executed this attack, being funded and armed by an external power that denies Serbias right to exist? Have they been armed with 10,000 rockets, many capable of hitting Serbian cities?

If so, then Serbia should make sure to only launch a minor attack, that takes few if any civilian lives, even if this means leaving the thousands of rockets untouched.

sarcasm mode off.

Serbia wont be bombed. Because Serbia wont do what it did in 1999.
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Islamic terrorism must be defended from a Serbian retaliation, clearly Serbia must be bombed
                I need a foot massage

Comment

Too much irony and sarcasm in this thread.

I don't have much to say except that I'm not shocked. Kosovo is still not a stable region, there are sporadic incidents like this all the time.

Comment

These are just a few extremists not backed by NATO or the Government. I'm sure NATO is taking steps to put more forces on the borders to prevent more cross border raids.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Serbia wont be bombed. Because Serbia wont do what it did in 1999.
                      Agreed.

As for Serbia being bombed in 1999, my only regret is that it didn't happen in 1993.
                      "Politics is to say you are going to do one thing while you're actually planning to do someting else - and then you do neither."
                      -- Saddam Hussein

Comment

If whoever did this is looking for international attention, they picked a really lousy time. Between Iraq, Lebanon, North Korea, and the three people on the international diplomacy scene who remember that people are still dying in Darfur, this isn't going to show up on too many people's give-a-****.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Well, I'd say let's be sure and bomb Albania also.
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

BTW Cort Haus, you should have included the links for the articles.

Comment

I'd just like to know what Serb thinks about this ...
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                              X