Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A sad day for Indian music . . . . . . . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A sad day for Indian music . . . . . . . . .

The Ustad Bismillah Khan passed away today . He was the one who re-introduced the Shehnai to Indian classical music ( or re-popularised it ) . He received the highest civilian award the government confers for outstanding contributions to the nation .

Link

Ustad Bismillah Khan is no more

By MIO Team
    Aug 21, 2006, 09:08

Shehnai maestro Ustad Bismillah Khan passed away early Monday morning after a cardiac arrest. He was 91 and was admitted to the ICU of Heritage Hospital in Varanasi last week with age-related health problems. Although he was put on the life support system, doctors could not revive him. He is survived by his five sons and three daughters.

He the third classical musician after Pt Ravi Shankar and M S Subbulakshmi to be awarded the Bharath Ratna, the highest civilian honour in the country. During his long and fruitful career as an artiste, Khan enthralled audiences at performances across the globe. He was honoured with the Sangeet Natak Akademi award, the Tansen award as well as the Padma Vibhushan.

He was born on March 21, 1916 into a family of court musicians and spent his childhood and his life in Varanasi, where his uncle the late Ali Bux 'Vilayatu' was the official shehnai player in the famous Visvanath temple. At an early age, he familiarised himself with various forms of music of UP, including thumri, kajri and sawani. He later studied khayal and mastered a large number of ragas.

The Government today declared a one-day national mourning in view of the death of Bismillah Khan. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has condoled the death of Ustad Bismillah Khan and called him the greatest exponent of shehnai. President A P J Abdul Kalam has also condoled the death of the shehnai maestro.

From the team of MIO our deep condolences for the departed soul of the great maestro.
    I pay my respect to this great man . May his soul attain freedom .

He's got it made now.

Ravi Shankar was cool.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Oh well he had a good innings.
      I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

Working...
      X