No announcement yet.

Best new wireless phone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSM was an imposed standard in Europe I think, while markets were allowed to work out their thing in the USA, so you got couple of competing standards. As it happens, GSM was a good standard and Europe profited much from having it.

Comment

I just upgraded my Nokia 6101 to a Nokia 6131. The 6101 was a good phone but, whether because its a bit plasticy or because I was a bit rough with it, it started to break after about a year. The hinge went, but that's entirely due to my habit of flicking it open.

The 6131 is great and does most of what you want. Mine was a free upgrade so I dont' know what it would retail for.

Or for that matter, if its even released on the North American market.
      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

I think I win the "who has the oldest phone" competition.

Nokia 8110

It's from 1998. or 1999. I think.

Comment

Basically, you shouldn't worry about CDMA vs GSM. First of all, there are things that makes GSM better and things that make CDMA better. As of now, I'd say GSM has better support.

Basically, GSM is an open standard, so you don't have a problem and you can be roaming networks around the world.. you have your SIM card, you can change networks, and you can also change the actual phone as well.. because you have that SIM card, so you want that SIM card, at least I'd want one, at this date and age, future might be different but do you really want to keep your phone for the next 5 years? No. You'll most likely update it in the next 2 or 3 years. And the support right now is better for GSM.

Listen, you're not making a huge commitment here It's not like you have to wear a badge on your sleeve that says GSM ROCKS! or CDMA OR DIE!

Because GSM is an open standard and widely supported and kind of old (but functions well), it also means that the networks are working OK. Nothing experimental going on. And it's not like if you invest in GSM, that you'll be holding science back.. we're not missing he next Mars flight because of your commitment right here and now.

GMS also has less detoriation, so ... that's also one quality factor to consider.

The idea of CDMA is better, but the actual benefits of it are not really.. they are not like you'd notice a difference. So GSM as an open standard and not heavily licensed (like CDMA) will guarantee you that it functions outside your own personal perimeter as well.

Plus, just get the N91.. it supports EGSM/GPRS 900/1800/1900MHz and it supports WCDMA and also EDGE. So this phone won't leave you at bay because of some sucky networks and operators that won't cover your protocols..
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
          X