Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad times at Ford. But is this cultural?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imagine that Asher. Employees who are getting fired are pissed off with the management. Would ever have thought?

As for you claim of "thoroughly debunking" anything on this topic at any time...
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Which approach is better over the long run?
      FYI, most Japanese companies make very little profit (Toyota being one of the few exceptions). The most profitable companies tend to be American.

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
        Car manufacturing is a mature industry - we are nearing the 100th anniversary of the Model T Ford. As such, the long term approach works better.

The high risk approach works best in emerging industries. That's why Silicon Valley is in America.
        I like this explaination. For slow growth industries where costumers are fickle maybe the low risk-low return model is different while for less mature industries it pays to be bold.

Comment

You might like the explanation, but it's a bad one. There are plenty of mature industries led by American companies with regard to profitability.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Bosh
            Definately! Just look how well their economy has been doing these past years! Now if that isn't something to emulate, I don't know what is.

Comment

Ford, GM, Chrysler have always gone through booms and busts, this is no different from the others except for GM maybe, their situation seems much worse, Japanese companies have the same issues and currently there is only one really viable Jap company Toyota, Mishibishu is basically bankrupt, and Mazda, Nissan struggle for profits some recent years, so are not really doing better than Ford.

Comment

Now what's really interesting is the amout of effort that Hyundai is putting into quality. They've taken the cars from being POS to having quality on par with (or even exceeding that of) Japanese car companies in a lot of studies and they're increasing market share in America fast, the biggest thing slowing them down is how strong the won is getting...
                Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Yeah, I purposefully went out looking for a Hyundai. And I am looking forward to owning my Accent for 10ish years or more.

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I don't think I could ever trust Hyundai. I can recall the utter pieces of rubbish those cars were for two of my friends.

Comment

Was good for my mom.. I heard they got a lot better arround 2000.

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                        You might like the explanation, but it's a bad one. There are plenty of mature industries led by American companies with regard to profitability.
                        such as oil...

but that is influenced by geography and shall we say, certain other factors.
                        Visit First Cultural Industries
                        There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                        Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Working...
                        X