Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A hypothetical situation - what's your opinion ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A hypothetical situation - what's your opinion ?

Here's a hypothetical situation for you to ponder .

Imagine that Adi Shankar's ( he was a contemporary of Mohammed ) revival of Hinduism in India had led to a Hindu/Arab expansionist-imperialist urge ( he preached nothing of the sort - I'm just speculating ) . Indian armies would have been united under one of the mahajanapadas and embarked on a march of world conquest , much like the Arabs .

In the confrontation that followed between the imperialist Hindus and imperialist Muslims , imagine for a moment that the Hindus would have won , and conquered Mecca . Being imperialists , the Hindus would them have proceeded to desecrate the Kaaba and bury it in very place it stood and buidl a Hindu temple on top of it , just as a mark of their imperialist victory .

Now , the Hindus would have ruled Arabia for around seven to eight hundred years , and would have treated the Muslism of Arabia very cruelly throughout their rule , reducing them to the class of second-class citizens . Now imagine that Arabia would still remain overwhelmingly Muslim , with only a few ( say 10 % ) of the people converting to Hinduism in this time of Hindu rule .

With the coming of the European imperialists , the Hindus would have been displaced from their position of prominence and the European powers would have gained control of Arabia .

With the coming of the rise of regional nationalism movements all over the world , Arabia would have gained its independence from European rule at around the time of 1950 .

From years before independence , that temple would not have been in use for centuries - because it was not really meant for worship , only as a mark of Hindu dominanace . Imagine that it was not being used even after independence . Imagine that it is now forty years after independence .

At such a time , would the Muslims of Arabia be justified in demanding that the temple which built on their Kaba be destroyed ( or shifted to another place ) , and that a mosque be built on that place ? Would they be justified in demolishing it by force ?

Note : If someone has guessed what historical incident I'm referring to , I'd request them not to reveal it , as I don't want people to be biased when they vote in the poll , I want it to be honest .

Note to voters : Please don't read the thread before voting , and please don't try to look this up , I want an unbiased vote .
    The demand for demolishing or shifting it is justified
    31.25%
    The use of force in demolishing it is justified
    15.63%
    The demand for demolishing or shifting it is not justified
    18.75%
    The use of force in demolishing it is not justified
    21.88%
    Other ( Please explain )
    12.50%

I don't vote on jack without reading. I didn't look it up, though.

The demand for demolishing or shifting it is justified, is my vote.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

There are many examples where religious buildings of one faith have been reappropriated by others without full demolition; why is it not possible here?
      Visit First Cultural Industries
      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

That remains an option . In that case , consider it - is the demand for converting it justified ?

Comment

If it's there just to piss off the opposition and act as a space holder, what's it matter? Get rid of it.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

My opinion is that I yearn to know more about the origins of the Hindu civilization.
            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Quit yearning and start learning.

Comment

Just move the thing. Destruction of historical artifacts is hard to justify, regardless of how odious they may be to certain people. If it's been there for centuries, archeologists and suchlike would not appreciate our trashing it. It's also a bad idea to respond to distant-past aggression with present retaliation. If you insist on not being the bigger man here, you can tell the foreigners to pay for the costs of moving it if they want it saved.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Re: A hypothetical situation - what's your opinion ?

Originally posted by aneeshm
                  If someone has guessed what historical incident I'm referring to
                  Yeah. That took a real stretch of the imagination.
                  Geez mate! Do you have to be so predictable?

But whats all this about marijuanapandas??
                  I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

Re: Re: A hypothetical situation - what's your opinion ?

Originally posted by Terra Nullius
                    But whats all this about marijuanapandas??
                    Yeah, that's just what we need. To make those animals even lazier and hungrier.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
                      That remains an option . In that case , consider it - is the demand for converting it justified ?
                      this is where we let market economics take over... outright taking would not be justifiable, buying and repurposing the property would be.
                      Visit First Cultural Industries
                      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Tear it down and shoot all who dare complain.
                        He's got the Midas touch.
                        But he touched it too much!
                        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Let's say, hypothetically, that a nationalist Christian political group gained power by playing on the fears of religious nutcases. Let's say that, hypothetically, the political group, which is completely different from the BJP, organized a mob of 75,000 people and went out and destroyed the ancient Hindu temple, which looked nothing like the old Babri Mosque.

Let's say that the destruction of the temple sparked riots that caused the deaths of more than 2,000 people.

Would it be a good idea to start another riot by building a church on the site of the former mosque, sorry, I mean Hindu temple?
                          Golfing since 67

Comment

Working...
                          X