Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is depression a disease? Is it more prevalent today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is depression a disease? Is it more prevalent today?

Not to threadjack Thorn's angry and suicide threads. I think it's a worthy discussion. Though it may have already run it's course, but there might still be more to discuss, so I'll make a new thread and even a poll on it.

And what about other "diseases" such as social anxiety. Another thing I suffer from (though I haven't actually been diagnosed, since I have never been to a doctor). Sometimes I think people are just naturally shy. Not everyone is born the same. As has been said before. Life is unfair. I'm shy and there is nothing I can do about it. I must accept my fate (seems like a curse to me) in life.

Same goes with depression. Perhaps some people are just naturally depressed. And it runs in families as well. As my mother suffers from depression. Even my half brother who never lived in my household (which was abusive and ****ed up) suffers from depression. He was adopted. Sure it can be treated with drugs. Just because something can be drugged, does that mean it's a disease? I'm not so sure.

And is depression more common today? Perhaps it's more reported, and people aren't as ashamed to admit it. But I do have some theories that staying busy helps stave off depression. It seems to have worked for me. In modern times we have too much free time. It only takes 40 (or less) hours to make a living. And for myself, because I have no friends, I spend too much time thinking. I think too much. And I see how much better other people have it. It bothers me. Things are better when I don't think too much. But right now, I have too much time on my hands. In the old days, people had to work too much to be depressed. At least that's my theory. It's possible they just kept their depression hidden. But it's not an easy thing to hide.

And finally, people are not the same. Some people are just superior to others. And when people realize their inferiority they become depressed. This is the case with me. Although my friend doesn't understand why I have a bad opinion of myself. She thinks I have no reason to be insecure or have low self esteem. But I can't help it. And Intelligence isn't exactly an attractive trait to have. It takes more than that to be a successful person.
    yes
    53.57%
    No
    28.57%
    No idea, but a banana a day helps with the blues
    17.86%
    Last edited by Dis; August 16, 2006, 03:03.

Theres a difference between being depressed and just being unhappy all the time. Ones caused by a chemical imbalance whilst the others caused by environmental conditions.

It is more common today, but thats because doctors are better at diagnosing it.

Or at least thats what I get outta my foray's into the subject.

Comment

I think it relates to people not working hard enough..

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

It seems more prevailent these days because whinging malcontents are more able to play on being "depressed" than they were years ago when they would have just been given a good slap and told to "snap out of it"

Depressed people are just, well depressing. Who needs 'em?

Comment

It is a disease, but not everything stated to be depression is the disease. It's anecdotal, but my family seems to be pretty convincing evidence that there's a strong genetic component. In four generations of my mother's maternal line, there have been 5 suicides out of 14 people. Two of these were unknown by the rest of the family until recently due to an adoption, and that branch did not know anything about our side either. Two more people in this line have made at least one unsuccessful attempt, and several others have needed some form of therapy. Oddly, there was one generation that it skipped entirely...unfortunately, it isn't mine.

Because of this history, I tend to think that people who just are down for a while because of circumstances etc. and say they are depressed are diluting the meaning of the term. That isn't a disease, it's just life.
          "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Depressed people love depressive music, I've noticed, and then they claim the music makes them feel better, because they can relate to it. Just another life observation.

And treating it like a disease reminds me of the professional advice to quit smoking, which includes, "rewarding yourself" or "gradually cutting back" or the patch or gum, when it seems to me, once again from life experience, the only true quitters do it through sheer force of will, cold turkey.

So I would say, depression would fit the addiction model much better, and indeed, I believe many times depression is triggered by a painful event, but instead of moving on, some people feel the need to revisit the event, perhaps it is the stabilizing hormones that are released to once again balance the blood pressure and heartrate that is causing the "high" people are seeking.

I know many people consider alcoholism a disease, and I reject the trend to call addictions disease, I think it does not help the situation, and is just another contributor to our current society of victimization.
            Pentagenesis for Civ III
            Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
            Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by NeOmega
              I know many people consider alcoholism a disease, and I reject the trend to call addictions disease, I think it does not help the situation, and is just another contributor to our current society of victimization.
              How do you define 'disease', then?

Comment

Originally posted by Monk

How do you define 'disease', then?
                something that cannot be cured through therapy.

You cannot will away cancer, or emphysema, or diabetes, or any other physical malady.
                Pentagenesis for Civ III
                Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
                Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

Monk sighting!

Originally posted by NeOmega
                  Depressed people love depressive music, I've noticed
                  Elok is right, you constantly pull unfounded platitudes out of your ass.
                  DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Wikipedia
                    It is hard for people who have not experienced clinical depression, either personally or by regular exposure to people suffering it, to understand its emotional impact and severity, interpreting it instead as being similar to "having the blues" or "feeling down." As the list of symptoms above indicates, clinical depression is a serious, potentially lethal systemic disorder characterized by interlocking physical, affective, and cognitive symptoms that have consequences for function and survival well beyond sad or painful feelings.

Comment

Everyone suffers sorrow and loss. Therefore, everyone thinks they know about depression. Most of these people don't know squat.

The sense of negative self-worth (the world would be better off without me; each and every person I know, one by one, would be better off without me; I better not start that as I will only **** it up) can be overwhelming. This disease is accompanied by physical symptoms, mind in origin, but real in effect. This disease has treatments, including SRI meds. It does, in fact, seem to have a genetic component.

Pretending it doesn't exist does not help the victims. They can be whiney, I won't deny that. You don't have to deal with them if you don't want to. However, this does not negate the medical aspects of a disorder that very much follows a disease pattern. If you wish to point out that the victims seem to wallow in their sorrow in terms of what the read or listen to, that's your privelege. But unless you have a medical or neurological degree, you aren't persuading anyone.

Psychiatry itself rocks with wars over what is genuine brain disease and what is made up by psychologists with their own self interests and constituencies.

But to those of us who have witnessed the chasm in our own souls will not be conviced that our condition does not exist. Further, for those of us who have been helped by the meds and now participate fully in life, that earlier experience is even more real. I have been there, I know what I saw, I know who I was before, during, and after, and I do not appreciate being scoffed at.
                      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Dis,

Don't let the judgement of others define who you are. Being fired, if it happens, is not the end of the world. I have not been fired, but may have resigned suspecting the inevitable. The next employer will care what you do on the job, not the history of how you got there.
                        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
                          Elok is right, you constantly pull unfounded platitudes out of your ass.
                          Hey, I thought I was the one to say that.
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

It's called mental illness for a reason. Chronic depression is a form of mental illness.

Answer, yes.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                              It's called mental illness for a reason. Chronic depression is a form of mental illness.

Answer, yes.
                              Being addicted to shopping is called "an illness" these days. People need to get a grip.

Comment

Working...
                              X