No announcement yet.

Why aren't there more pro-war bands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't heard of any proWar Christian bands.. Most active Christians are against war.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

The only intelligent ploy is anti-war??? This rather precludes debate, since one has to admit to being stupid to disagree. Not a tolerant stance, in the least. Geez!
      You are assuming that the more intelligent course of action is necessarily the correct course of action. While it may seem obvious, there is a necessary difference, especially when evidence available for a decision is incomplete. Of course, that in turn depends on whether a "correct" decision is judged by motivation or consequence.

Indeed, a particular course of action should be judged by the merits of its individual circumstance whether motivation or consequence, or both, but I'm discussing whether an individual inclination (i.e., I am inclined to believe that force of arms is right vs opposite) is more intelligent than the other.

It can only be a rough generalisation, since not all hawks are club-wielding troglodytes and not all pacifists are champagne-swilling intellectuals, but I think there is a correlation between ones social intelligence, ability to communicate and understand human problems, and the desire to solve problems peacefully, as well as dream of a better world. I think few would disagree that a better world would involve no violence.

If one were to take a study of profession against pro/anti-war, in a given conflict such as Iraq, I should expect to find those of a more intellectual, social and communicative leaning to err towards pacifism, and those who rely less on the rigours of their intellects to be more inclined to support war.
      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
      "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Comment

charlie daniels?

Comment

You are assuming that the more intelligent course of action is necessarily the correct course of action.

At which point this is all semantic crap.

Comment

and some of you know my point of view. I'm not exactly pro war. But I think it's naive to think war will ever go away. We humans like to think we are so far above other mammals, when we are not. Just as other animals will continue to fight amongst each other, so will humans.

That's not to say you shouldn't try for peace. But there are going to be situations where the other party will not budge in their stance. It's all about dominance (just as in the animal kindgom). You can back down and be a weak nation, or take a stand and be a strong nation. Again, I'm not saying it's right to go to war with other countries to retain our status and be wealthy. But in the same token, we can't let other countries walk all over us. They would destroy us if they could. And eventually they will have the ability to do so with nukes. And yes I know they are only pissed off because we are meddling in the middle east. Believe me, I support many isolationist policies. But if we go isolationist and they still continue to want to bring us down, then I say hit them, and hit them hard.

Comment

@Dis
                Listen to skinheadz music, black metal nazi and stuff like this...

Now you'll find your pro-war bands!!!
                bleh

Comment

At which point this is all semantic crap.
                  ?
                  "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                  "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

I hate to interrupt this lovefest but I'd like to distract the argument into an entirely different direction:

Is having a semantic discussion philosophy? This is just semantic in itself, but is it philosophy when people discuss on this level of things? I used to be certain it was, and obviously it isn't all that is to philosophy, but now I'm not so certain. I mean it might just be... semantics!

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy
                      ?
                      He's a "scientist". Which means he makes in natural sciences and his therefore totally resistent to any thinking that cannot easily be transformed into some form of maths.

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy
                        ?
                        He's a "scientist". Which means he makes in natural sciences and his therefore totally resistent to any thinking that cannot easily be transformed into some form of maths.

Comment

By and large, artists tend to be attracted to left-wing ideals (more than not, but there are certainly many who go the other way). The left is generally less pro-war.

This of course only changes the question: why are artists more attracted to left wing politics. I don't know but I can speculate. Artists tend to be attracted to big, bold ideas, tend to rebel against consensus, were picked on as children, etc. In the U.S., the consensus is rather right-wing (even American liberals are rather right-wing compared to the rest of the world). If you're going to rebel, there really isn't anywhere on the right to go, so you have to go left. There were quite a few artists attracted to fascism back in the day, before Hitler did what he did. In fact, my favorate style of art, Futurism was heavily influenced by fascism, though I prefer the Soviet Constructivist variant, and not merely for its politics.

Also, the right tends to reject non-conventional art, and artists in general.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                            Er, I'm no scientist and I agree with teh Kuci: Whaleboy is arguing in a very weird way. His argument doesn't even seem to follow. Given that the most intelligent decision based on available information will not always achieve optimal results, the most intelligent decision is still the most intelligent decision precisely because it leads to the best consequences within all foreseen possibilities. How are "the intelligent choice" and "the correct choice" not synonymous given those constraints? He's splitting hairs in a fairly arbitrary way, methinks.
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok

Er, I'm no scientist
                              But you're an 'aspie' which is close enough.
                              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Yes, but I make a terrible scientist. I interned at Beltsville Agricultural Research Center in high school. Those poor scientists. I probably set our understanding of Photorhabdus luminescens back by a good thirty years just by being there. Which is a pity, since that microbe kicks major arse.
                                1011 1100
                                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                                X