Hard Cider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Cider

Tried it for the first time this weekend. Woodchuck, from Vermont.

Not bad, like a cross between beer and apple juice. Not something id likely make a regular thing of, though.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Semolina pudding in a few minutes here.

Comment

Try Strongbow. It's much more beer-like, and not so sweet.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Try proper scrumpy brewed in some forsaken West Country farmer's bathtub. If you go blind, its cause you're a big nancy boy.
        Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
        -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Homemade hard apple cider is the best.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

scrumpy!
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Strongbow Ugh.

I'm not a huge fan of Woodchuck, either. If I had to pick one, I'd go with Cider Jack.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Clearly, Breton ciders pwn you all.
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

We have some awesome Apple Jack up here
                  Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                    Semolina pudding in a few minutes here.
                    Pudding?
                    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

If it hasn't had bits of raw meat festering in it for at least a month then it isn't worth drinking.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

IIUC, in England, West Country cider is a different style from East Anglia cider.

New England, which, IIUC, is the heart of cider country this side of the pond, was originally mainly settled from East Anglia. Would that account "for the difference between WoodChuck and the "scrumpy" of which some of you speak?
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

That and the absence of rotting meat, yes.

This is no joke. Scrumpy is not a drink for vegetarians. The other differences (for the real purists) is that it should be filtered only through hay, and use only the natural yeasts present on the apple-skins.
                          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

And the pips should be crushed too. I think this might actually be illegal now, because it's the pips that cause the blindness and insanity.
                            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                              Clearly, Breton ciders pwn you all.
                              Probably true.

Here on the East Coast, you can procure a wide variety of flavors just among the retail hard ciders. I also like Cider Jack. Not sure I'd trust local brews unless I had a friend who'd already tried this brewer a few years in a row and had sampled this batch at least as long ago as yesterday. Not as dangerous as some corn liquors, but festering meat contains its own horrors.
                              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                              X