• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A feisty Boy George reports for garbage duty

Tsk, tsk. Someone has a bad attitude.

‘You think you’re better than me?’ yells the singer as he begins service

Updated: 1 hour, 45 minutes ago

NEW YORK - With a city-issued broom in his hand, Boy George started his court-ordered community service early Monday, sweeping leaves and trash off the sidewalks of New York.

It took less than an hour for the former Culture Club frontman to get into a spat with the media.

“You think you’re better than me?” he yelled. “Go home. Let me do my community service.”

Boy George took to the streets of Manhattan as a Department of Sanitation worker wearing an orange vest, dark capri pants, shoes without socks, and without the wild makeup and androgynous style that made him so recognizable as the ’80s icon who sang “Karma Chameleon” and “Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?”

“This is supposed to be making me humble. Let me do this,” he said. “I just want to do my job.”

The singer, born George O’Dowd, was ordered to spend five days working for the Department of Sanitation after pleading guilty in March to falsely reporting a burglary at his lower Manhattan apartment. The officers who responded found cocaine instead.

At 7 a.m. Monday, a sport utility vehicle pulled up at a Lower East Side sanitation depot. The agency planned to issue the singer a shovel, broom, plastic bags and gloves for the job of picking up trash on the city’s streets.

In June, Manhattan Criminal Court Judge Anthony Ferrara issued a warrant for O’Dowd’s arrest after he initially failed to complete the requirements of his plea deal. When O’Dowd appeared in court ten days later, Ferrara called off the warrant but warned the singer he could not escape his community service commitment.

“It’s up to you whether you make it an exercise in humiliation or in humility,” Ferrara told O’Dowd.

O’Dowd, 45, initially envisioned a service project more in line with his status as an ’80s icon.

He petitioned to spend the time helping teenagers make a public service announcement. Among his other proposals to the court: holding a fashion and makeup workshop, serving as a D.J. at an HIV/AIDS benefit or doing telephone outreach.

Boy George’s manager, Jeremy Pearce, told reporters shortly after the singer arrived for his first day on the job: “He doesn’t show any kind of emotion about these things. He takes it in his stride.”

“He doesn’t need to be humiliated,” Pearce said. “He’s a humble person.”
    © 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Ah, another of Eltham's finest doing his bit for humanity
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Why does he still need a manager?
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Who cares about this rubbish?

Comment

that pic is a riot!
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
            Who cares about this rubbish?

I would say Boy George is forced to care about the rubbish.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Re: A feisty Boy George reports for garbage duty

Originally posted by SlowwHand falsely reporting a burglary at his lower Manhattan apartment. The officers who responded found cocaine instead.
              WTF? Was he just looking for attention?
              Unbelievable!

Comment

looks like he got it
                Monkey!!!

Comment

My dad met Boy George once. My dad said "Weren't you famous once?". Boy George retorted "I'm an old has-been, you're a never will be".
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Arrest warrant for Boy George
                    Boy George faces a possible jail term unless he fulfills his community service sentence.
                    June 17, 2006 - 1:42PM

A clearly annoyed Manhattan judge issued a warrant today for the arrest of Boy George after the former Culture Club singer failed to appear in court, but the judge stayed the warrant pending his return at a later hearing.

Judge Anthony Ferrara said he will hold a hearing on June 26 on whether the singer, whose real name is George O'Dowd, violated the terms of his conditional discharge after pleading guilty in March to third-degree false reporting of an incident.

The charge followed his false report of a burglary at his Lower Manhattan apartment where police found cocaine.

Under his plea deal, O'Dowd was to enter a drug program in England and do five days of community service in Manhattan. He was also supposed to pay a $US1,000 ($A1,349) fine and a $US160 surcharge, and avoid arrest for any reason during the next six months.

The singer was scheduled to appear today to explain why he wanted to change the terms of his sentence.

Ferrara angrily complained that O'Dowd had not paid the fine or the surcharge and had never reported to begin fulfilling the community service requirement.

"I put people in jail who don't pay fines," the judge told O'Dowd's lawyer, Louis Freeman.

"Why shouldn't I do that?

"I think it's important that Mr O'Dowd be treated like any other defendant," he said.

Freeman said he had told O'Dowd, who was in England, that he did not have to appear today but that he should be ready to fly to New York on a moment's notice. He said the singer would be present for his next court date.

Ferrara said that on June 26 he would issue a final order as to what O'Dowd must do.

Freedman said that O'Dowd hoped to do something more worthwhile than sweeping New York City's streets.

"There's nothing wrong with that if that's part of his punishment," Freeman said, "but it will turn into a media circus and the press will be following him every day".

Freeman said the singer intended to comply with the terms of his conditional discharge, but he hoped to work with an HIV/AIDS charity while taking part in an outpatient drug treatment program for himself.

Ferrara ridiculed Freeman's community service proposals, which included helping teenagers make a public service announcement, holding a fashion and makeup workshop, serving as a DJ at an HIV/AIDS benefit and doing telephone outreach.

Ferrara said he understood the objection to street cleaning.

"It's humiliation," he said.

AP

Photo: AP

Comment

Looks like a seagull crapped on his head after eating liquorice
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Why does a washed up pop star get a fine and community service for cocaine whereas a poor black man gets sent to jail?

Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Because the poor man can't afford the fine?
                          Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009
                          "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there's no conspiracy"

Comment

Re: A feisty Boy George reports for garbage duty

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                            © 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
                            Did anyone else notice this line?
                            Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009
                            "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there's no conspiracy"

Comment

I have to say I agree with his sentiments. He should be left alone, not harrassed just because he used to be a celebrity.

But people revel in other people's misfortune (especially if they once used to place them on a pedestal), as also seen during the downfall of Michael Jackson.

How sorry some people are in situations like this. And I'm not thinking of Boy George here.

Comment

Working...
                              X