ZoneAlarm is a piece garbage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZoneAlarm is a piece garbage

I don't know what's going on at ZoneAlarm these days, but the last two versions were cr@p. I had to uninstall the previous version and wait for the current one. (The damn didn't even uninstall properly, leaving parts of itself here and there, parts you had to manually remove before attempting a new install.) And since I installed the current one, Windows restarted without warning on two occasions. I lost some valuable work

I'm tired of this sh!t. I think I'll uninstall it and return to the Windows Firewall.

Any suggestions? Another software firewall, maybe? Are hardware firewalls superior? I plan to buy a router soon.
    Last edited by Nostromo; August 12, 2006, 11:05.
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

I use Sygate.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'm not having any problems with it.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Never had any problems with ZoneAlarm. I quite like it, really.

I'm running ZoneAlarm Pro though. I have little experience with the free version so there could be some issues there that I'm not familiar with.
        "Politics is to say you are going to do one thing while you're actually planning to do someting else - and then you do neither."
        -- Saddam Hussein

Comment

Re: ZoneAlarm is a piece garbage

Originally posted by nostromo
          I don't know what's going on at ZoneAlarm these days, but the last two versions were cr@p. I had to uninstall the previous version and wait for the current one. (The damn didn't even uninstall properly, leaving parts of itself here and there, parts you had to manually remove before attempting a new install.) And since I installed the current one, Windows restarted without warning on two occasions. I lost some valuable work

I'm tired of this sh!t. I think I'll uninstall it and return to the Windows Firewall.

Any suggestions? Another software firewall, maybe? Are hardware firewalls superior? I plan to buy a router soon.
          Did the restarts occur shortly after starting a game? You're using the free version of zone alarm right?

Comment

Originally posted by Guardian
            Never had any problems with ZoneAlarm. I quite like it, really.

I'm running ZoneAlarm Pro though. I have little experience with the free version so there could be some issues there that I'm not familiar with.
            I had *a lot* more trouble with pro than with the free version. I found pro to be totally unusable to me unless I *always* had it running in game mode. crash crash crash crash crash ....ARGHHHH

Comment

You're using the free version of zone alarm right?
              Yep, version 6.5.731.

Did the restarts occur shortly after starting a game? You're using the free version of zone alarm right?
              No, the first time was while I was working in Word, with a couple of other programs also running. And the second time was while ripping a CD with EAC.

I'm not 100% sure its ZoneAlarm causing the BSOD's, but I think there's a correlation. The BSOD restarts occured after I installed the latest version of ZoneAlarm. Also, there's a new thread on the ZoneAlarm forum about BSOD's. It seems to be a common problem.
              Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Windows Firewall works fine.

Comment

The last time I tried to upgrade ZoneAlarm it corrupted god knows what, and after several failed attempts to uninstall it I wound up having to do a system restore. I've been using Windows Firewall ever since.

Previously, I'd been frustrated by the fact that ZoneAlarm would make me restart my computer twice when I installed an update.

I've heard that Kerio is nice, but AFAIK they don't have a free version available.
                  <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I have used the free version of zonealarm for about 3 years without any issues, there may perhaps be conflicts between it and something else your running, perhaps you should analyse what other programs you have on your computer, windows firewall is substandard in my opinino, would not use that.

Comment

I'll wait for what Asher says on this topic. It interested me greatly as a user of Zone Alarm.
                      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

I've run Norton on one PC and Zonealarm Pro on the other for the last 12 months. Norton hogs resources and annoyed me with pop ups while Zone Alarm is much friendlier and use less resources. On the downside it seems to hang every couple of months and require a reinstall. Despite this i still prefer it to Norton.

Comment

I reckon that lately more and more people experience problems with free Zone Alarm. After my last update it suddenly blocked all my browsers except IE even though I allowed access for all, of course, and tried hard to unlock them.
                          The result: I uninstalled ZA and now use the Windows Firewall and ready. Works fine.
                          "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                          "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger
                            I've heard that Kerio is nice, but AFAIK they don't have a free version available.
                            They do:

Unfortunately, once it got sold to Sunbelt, they started giving you occassional nag screens during your 30-day trial (I don't think I've gotten a nag screen since my trial ended though). Other than that, the free version works fine.

SP
                            I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

I use ZA (free) version 3.7.143. Works great, except it tends to block all internet traffic after long Civ3 sessions
                              The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X