Ike: Republican God or Commie Stooge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ike: Republican God or Commie Stooge?

Republicans are quick to criticize Kennedy for the failed Bay of Pigs, the Berlin Wall, the appeasement that ended the Missle Crisis, and getting us involved militarily in Vietnam. But, is this criticism fair given the relatively far worse performance of his Republican predecessor, Eisenhower, who

1) ended the Korean War with a truce, not a peace treaty;

2) failed to help the French at Dien Bien Phu when asked (the help was available in the form of the American fleet that was just offshore at the time);

3) forced the Brits and French to give up the Suez Canal to the UAR, a commie client state;

4) failed to provide any assistance to the Huns when they were under assault from commie tanks;

5) lost the space race to the commies on purpose;

6) shut down McCarthy who was rooting out commies from the State Department;

7) failed to support (and or replace in time) Batista, who then surrendered Cuba to the commie Castro;

8) allowed U2 flights over the commie heartland, wrecklessly allowing an international crisis to happen when Powers was shot down; and

9) failed to sack Nixon, an obvious psycho.

Now, some have argued that Ike kept the peace. But at what cost? His failures lead to greater crises in the future: Vietnam, Cuba, the '67 Mideast War, a postponed European liberation from Communism, and a nuclear-armed, hostile North Korea. By any measure, other than the measure commie stooge might apply, Eisenhower may rank among the worst presidents of the 20th Century. So was Ike a Republican God or a Commie Stooge?
    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Go away

Comment

Clever return.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Welcome back - the OT was beginning to be pretty boring.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Eisenhower

Ned , albeit for different reasons. Amusement value.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Welcome back

Comment

Awesome stuff.
              "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
              "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

was a dark time in the history of the USA. It defiled every concept the country was based upon.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

But let's face facts - Eisenhower was a commie stooge. So were Carter, Clinton, the head of Pixar and the 1978 New York Yankees.
                  "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                  "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                  "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Re: Ike: Republican God or Commie Stooge?

Originally posted by Ned
                    1) ended the Korean War with a truce, not a peace treaty;
                    Peace would undoubtly have been better, but at what cost?

2) failed to help the French at Dien Bien Phu when asked (the help was available in the form of the American fleet that was just offshore at the time);
                    It was probably doomed in the long run anyway. The Vietnamese wanted the colonists out.

3) forced the Brits and French to give up the Suez Canal to the UAR, a commie client state;
                    Forcing allies is bad

4) failed to provide any assistance to the Huns when they were under assault from commie tanks;
                    I thought the Huns were raiding 1000 years earlier?

5) lost the space race to the commies on purpose;
                    Lost? Fell slightly behind is a more correct term. The space race lasted far into the 70's

While I don't like commies, they have right to have their opinion. Just vote them out in the next election if you don't like them.

7) failed to support (and or replace in time) Batista, who then surrendered Cuba to the commie Castro;
                    Replace in time? Stick to your own borders !
                    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Ned's threads touch me in my special place.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Bears are going down, buddy!
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Ned's back . And he brought us a fabulous troll.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                            Bears are going down, buddy!
                            Yes.

Down to Miami to win the Super Bowl.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I remember the good old days of Apolyton OT when all evil things were 3 and lived in California: Ned, Ted and Fez. Now one has switched side and the other two have quit.

Welcome back!
                              So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                              Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Working...
                              X