HD questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD questions

I recently acquired (without cost) a HDTV monitor ... it's a PFM-42V1P, which is a 42in "plasma" screen. Originally I intended to use this as a really frickin' cool PC monitor, but, as far as I can tell, it has a maximum useful (ie, clear) resolution of 848x480 ... so not much use as a PC monitor, as I prefer rather more resolution on my PC. Thus, I figure I shoiuld go ahead and use it as a HDTV instead ... which I suppose is what it's intended to be used for anyway

I have a few questions about this before the comcast guy comes out to give me a HD cable box on monday...

1) Why does it allow me to use much higher resolutions (up to 1920xsomething, and lists in the manual up to 1600x1200) if they end up being horribly blurry and has interlacing problems? Is this my fault for not setting it up right (I was using ATI's catalyst control center, and tried everything I could imagine ... ) or is this just how LCD/plasmas work?

2) What sort of HDTV will this end up showing? I'm guessing 848x480 is probably 480p, but it lists 1080i and 720p as options - will it display these just as cruddily as the computer monitor pictures, or is HDTV able to compensate somehow? Or is it just the constantly moving picture that compensates?

3) Am I right to believe this will work fine directly hooked up to the comcast HD box (without buying any other hardware)? They will provide cables, and it has plenty of cabling options (Composite, S-Video, VGA, etc.) ...

Thanks in advance
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

1) This is how plasmas work, and it's also why I'm not a fan. Plasmas are very low resolution compared to LCDs. They accept as input 1920x1080 or 720p, but it's scaled to fit the effective resolution of the display internally by chips. You don't really notice a difference for video, but for desktops it's absolutely crap. You cannot really use plasmas for being hooked up to your computer, it's not what they're for.

2) That'll show 720p or 1080i HDTV. This is normal for plasmas, in fact a 720p or 1080i image on your 848x480 plasma will look better than an 848x480 signal -- just the nature of the beast. Think of it like supersample antialiasing if you know how that works. Long story short, feed it either 720p or 1080i and the onboard chips will work it out.

3) That'll work fine hooked up to a comcast HD box. But make sure you use the right cable: Composite and S-video are standard-definition only. VGA can be used for high-def but isn't recommended. The connectors you can use for high-def images are Component (3 cables, R G and B), DVI-D (one cable) and HDMI (1 cable).
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Ahh, okay. I think the installation guy will have the right cables, as the comcast agent I chatted with indicated I don't need a cable. I actually intended to write "component" not composite, though it has both, as I don't seem to have the difference straight in my head ...

Thanks! Now I just have to figure out how to support it (it has a wall mount, so I may do that, but I'm in an apartment and am not confident the mount will work ... It's intended to be a portrait screen, ie has SONY on the short side, but I think I can still use the wall mount as it's a square mount...) Otherwise I have to build something myself I think

Comment

How did you get one of those for free? They're quite rare I think, the portrait ones...

Did you steal it from an airport where they used them for flight schedules?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

If the maximum clear resolution is 848x480, then it isn't HD. At a minimum, it should be able to do 720p, but it sounds like you might have a 480p EDTV (Enhanced Def) on your hands. Good thing you didn't pay for it, or you'd have the right to be pissed.
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
            How did you get one of those for free? They're quite rare I think, the portrait ones...

Did you steal it from an airport where they used them for flight schedules?
            snoopy's a wild man after a few drinks.
            ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
              If the maximum clear resolution is 848x480, then it isn't HD. At a minimum, it should be able to do 720p, but it sounds like you might have a 480p EDTV (Enhanced Def) on your hands. Good thing you didn't pay for it, or you'd have the right to be pissed.
              yeah, looks like 848x480 is Plasma EDTV.

Plasma HDTVs are apparently about 1360 x 765.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                Everything i've read (via google) about it is HD-compatible or HD-ready, depending on the site.

The sony online manual doesn't exist anymore, but thank god for Google's cache ...

(not sure if this will work for others, but search for PFM-42v1p on sony.com only and you'll find the page i'm linking to, shows up as the 2nd one for me ... )

This is what shows up from the site:
                "Highlights":
                * 42" Plasma Monitor: 852 x 480 Resolution 16:9 panel (viewable area, measured diagonally).
                * Digital Video Input (DVI-D): The DVI input function offers a high picture quality when used with a DVI-equipped PC (DVI video cable is supplied).
                * 7 watt Digital Stereo Audio Ampliflier
                * Displays Standard Definition and High Definition Formats Including 1080/60i, 720/60P, 1080/24Psf, and 480/60p Video
                * Displays Computer Formats up to and including UXGA
                * Picture and Picture (1 video and 1 pc) capability
                Features:
                * 42" Plasma Monitor

852 x 480 Resolution 16:9 panel (viewable area, measured diagonally).

* Digital Video Input (DVI-D)

The DVI input function offers a high picture quality when used with a DVI-equipped PC (DVI video cable is supplied).

* 7 watt Digital Stereo Audio Ampliflier

Optional Speakers Available

* Displays Standard Definition and High Definition Formats

Including 1080/60i, 720/60P, 1080/24Psf, and 480/60p Video

* Displays Computer Formats

up to and including UXGA

* Picture and Picture

(1 video and 1 pc) capability
                Specs:
                * Model Number

PFM-42V1

* Screen Size

42"

* Pixel Pitch

1.08 x 1.08mm

* Panel Type

AC-Type Plasma Display Panel

* Screen Protector

Anti-Glare/Anti-Reflective

* Color Systems

NTSC, PAL, SECAM, NTSC4.43, PAL60, PAL-M, PAL-N

* Audio

7W x 2 Digital AMP

* Video Inputs

RGB/Component (HD-15), DVI-D, Composite (BNC), Y/C (S-Video)

* Video Outputs

Composite Out Loop Through (BNC)

* Remote Control

RS232C and Multi-Function Remote
                Color Temperature Control: Discrete Control RGB
                Picture Modes: Custom (3), Vivid, Standard

* Image Retention Protection

Multi-Mode Picture Orbit, Picture
                Inversion, White Screen, Timers, Power
                Save, Auto Wide Mode, Smart Fan Technology

* Closed Caption Decoder

Yes

* High Altitude Model

PFM-42V1A/S

* Mount Design Portrait Model

PFM-42V1P/B

* Power Management Maximum

360W

* Dimensions (W/H/D)

40.75" x 24.875" x 3.375"

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

yeah, looks like 848x480 is Plasma EDTV.

Plasma HDTVs are apparently about 1360 x 765.
                  What does that mean from my point of view?

Comment

It's a pretty common con in displays. It's not lying when it says the TV accepts as input 720p or 1080i, the thing is it's not what it displays. 720p is 1280x720, 1080i is 1920x1080 for frame resolution. What it displays is 848x480, so it's 1280x720 or 1920x1080 downsampled to be 848x480 -- it'll look better than "regular TV", but it's not really high definition.

The majority of TVs advertising to be 1080p compatible today are similar cons.

Comment

Check out this for a breakdown: http://www.mysimon.com/Flat-panel-TV...l?pid=21304943

For that model of TV:

Digital TV Standard: EDTV-Ready - Requires separate receiver to view EDTV signals.
                      Broadcast Format Displayed: 480p (EDTV), 480i (SDTV)
                      Broadcast Format Supported: 1080i (HDTV), 720p (HDTV), 480p (EDTV), 480i (SDTV)

Comment

Hmm, for that matter, what's HD15 input versus component input? It seems to have that, but not the 'component' input that seems to be more common ...

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                          Hmm, for that matter, what's HD15 input versus component input? It seems to have that, but not the 'component' input that seems to be more common ...
                          HD15 is a VGA connector.

Comment

Component is a form of analog input. Better than S-Video and VGA but worse than digital inputs like DVI/HDMI. Never heard of HD15, though.
                            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

HD15/VGA cable:

Component cable:

Composite cable:

HDMI cable:

DVI-D cable:

Comment

Working...
                              X