Ain't Democracy ironic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ain't Democracy ironic

Here's the US trying to spread democracy around the Middle East, and what do they get in return...?

Iran voted in that "destroy Israel" nutter, Ahmedinejad (although Iran's democracy isn't exactly 100% democratic)

Iraq seems to be voting itself ever nearer to a cosy partnership with Iran and getting more and more 'Islamist' with each passing month...

The Palestinians just voted in Hamas with an overwhelming majority...

And I wouldn't like to guess how the elections next year in Lebanon are going to...

Dang - those pesky people just won't do what they're told!
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

O, the irony!

Comment

Iran voted in that "destroy Israel" nutter, Ahmedinejad (although Iran's democracy isn't exactly 100% democratic)
      Understatement worthy of a Brit.

It astounds me that this was somehow a shocking result to either the Israeli or American governments.

Iraq could still go in several different directions (or perhaps in all of them, which could be really interesting ).

As for Lebanon, that is a really diverse society, wierd stuff is bound to happen, with or without the IDF beating the hell out of them.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I read that liberalism (as in personal freedoms, rule of law, economic liberty, etc.) should be advocated and instituted rather than democracy in troubled regions. With democracy, the people can still elect thugs and troublemakers. The West would be better off dealing with liberal dictatorships than democratically elected terrorists and rabble-rousers.

Comment

I vote not to answer.

Spec.
          -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Liberal dictatorships

I get what you're trying to say, but that's funny.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Re: Ain't Democracy a Bi+ch?

Originally posted by MOBIUS
              Here's the US trying to spread democracy around the Middle East, and what do they get in return...?

Iraq seems to be voting itself ever nearer to a cosy partnership with Iran and getting more and more 'Islamist' with each passing month...

And I wouldn't like to guess how the elections next year in Lebanon are going to...

Dang - those pesky people just won't do what they're told!

Well, looks like we just have to bomb the mother****ers into submission.

Oh - and cute location field. It's nice to know I have my own groupie.
              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Yep with democracies they don't always do you want, they do what they want. (I'm not including IRAN since if they had a real choice, there would be a different government) I'm glad that they get to choose for themselves, even if they have to go through the learning process. In the long run, choosing their own leaders is the only way there will be any stability. It won't happen overnight.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Very wise, rah

Freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes.

Comment

Let's just hope the mistakes don't kill them all.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                      Freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes.
                      It's only a mistake from our Western point of yiew. I happen to think ours is better, but then, I'm a Westerner.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

People in democracies don't appreciate a lot of things.
                        I work with a guy who insists he's Persian. I get along with him better than I do anyone, When he and I need information systems help, the lady is Jewish. Thick accent. Guess what? All 3 of us get along very well.
                        Guess what else? No way will you hear them complain about the USA.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

So if we go to war with Iran, does that mean the Democratic Peace Theory idiots get to shut up?
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

What do you mean if we go to war with Iran?
                            Last edited by chequita guevara; August 8, 2006, 19:31.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

When
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                              X